new guy question: is a Bad Dog considered a doodlebug?

I am new to the minibike hobby, wondering if my bad dog frame is what y'all call a doodlebug. See photo, decorated for our Mardi Gras parade tomorrow.
BTW, this forum is great, I have gotten a bunch of info already! 20150206_101323~2.jpg
Thanks,
Redbuddy

Hey redbuddy! Nice Bad Dog, looks like your set for Carnival.

I got one, I just consider it a Bad Dog. A Doodlebug, in the modern sense, is a Chinese import also known as a DB30. It's a specific minibike and you'll see a lot of them here in various configurations. A Doodlebug in the vintage sense can be a couple different minibikes from different manufacturers. But a Bad Dog is a Bad Dog. If you say that around here, we'll all know what you got:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Welcome to OldMiniBikes! A doodlebug is a cheap Chinese version of the classic tube frame minibike, we like em for guilt free modifying but they break if you ask too much from them and I do not mean the engines because they are broke from the drop. A Bad Dog is an American made minibike, built with pride and most importantly with American labor. Your Bad Dog is considered a modern minibike basically, I've never had one but would not hesitate to buy one for the right price. The kits are pricey IMO, I prefer medium to large frame vintage minibikes that I can buy cheap and then make into the bike I want. Under all those beads and the mask your bike looks well done, I like purple anyway so it's a great color too.

What parade?

I have thought it would be fun to do a Mardi Gras parade.
Post photos of your adventure.
We have a parade in our neighborhood , about 50 entries, mostly golf carts, a few cars, some bicycles and a scooter and ONE mini bike. I was doin good til my clutch started heating up and then my chain

broke, so I had to push her about a mile home. No worries, OldMiniBikes will be sending me some chain and a bunch of other stuff next week.

I just had a little debate with OldMiniBikes member Mike R. about jackshaft vs TAV. He has a new Bad Dog coming. I think he has your model or the one up (I know he has the one down from mine) which I have a TAV on mine now, but I was saying how much I like the PMR jackshaft on my Lil Indian. It would seem to me, a large frame bike like that (and mine) would be excessively demanding on any straight clutch n chain setup. Without knowing your gearing which would have to be precise to minimize the excessiveness, a big bike like that might be an indication to use of a TAV or jackshaft.

At any rate, I like both drive systems. You would benefit from either. Mike R. didn't dig additional chain, and probably if you have significant hills where you ride, a good cut to the chase would be just get the TAV. Both around a hunnert bucks.

I have never had a Bad Dog but love the look of them !

I have gone both routes on other bikes and in my opinion the jack shaft setup is for getting a big heavy bike to work great at lower speeds for off road / rougher conditions that would destroy a clutch direct to rear wheel setup

The torque converter is the best of both worlds , lots of low end torque (some times to much lol ) and awesome midrange to top end

I just had a little debate with OldMiniBikes member Mike R. about jackshaft vs TAV. He has a new Bad Dog coming. I think he has your model or the one up (I know he has the one down from mine) which I have a TAV on mine now, but I was saying how much I like the PMR jackshaft on my Lil Indian. It would seem to me, a large frame bike like that (and mine) would be excessively demanding on any straight clutch n chain setup. Without knowing your gearing which would have to be precise to minimize the excessiveness, a big bike like that might be an indication to use of a TAV or jackshaft.

At any rate, I like both drive systems. You would benefit from either. Mike R. didn't dig additional chain, and probably if you have significant hills where you ride, a good cut to the chase would be just get the TAV. Both around a hunnert bucks.
Yeah, I think my bike is the Bad Dog Big ATV Mini bike with 47 inch wheelbase. I have a 212 Predator, gearing 10t x 61t and a #41 chain with 18x7/7 tires. Mostly flat ground right here at the coast. I have ordered OldMiniBikes stage 1 kit, and a band brake kit, and some chain. Will probably ride it for a bit and see how it wears before I decide on the drive options. Thanks for the info, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.
Redbuddy

I like the really big Bad Dog, and the big one that uses the BIG fat tires.
I'm thinking one of the 420 cc Predators would be sweet with that one.
Or, maybe the V-twin Predator.