New guys log/build!

Hey guys! My name is Tyler, im from northern california. Im pretty new to minibikes but Ive tinkered with small motors before, such as lawnmowers and weedeaters. So Im not TOTALLY stupid when it comes to these things, but everything Ive learned ive taught myself by just taking things apart and figuring out how they work. Because of this I dont know all the technical names for the parts and things, Haha.

Anyways, this is how it started. I bought a house about a year ago, and just got my garage setup as far as tools work bench and what not. So I decided I wanted a project. After searching through craigslist I found an older baja mini for 150 bucks.

The person said it had no problems, but once I got home and took it for a test drive I discovered the hard way that the throttle was stuck WIDE OPEN! Other than that it just had a nail in the rear tire.

I took it totally apart that night.

So far ive cleaned up the engine, and started stripping down the old paint that the person before had sprayed on. Ive discovered about 5 coats of paint on this thing, haha.

Red, primer, black, pink, primer. Im actually in the process of stripping down the pieces right now.
Ive also started painting the smaller pieces. Ive decided to just go with a few coats of primer and enamel. I like the glossy primer look.

Also picked up some new grips.

I'll continue to add to this as I progress. Thanks ahead of time for any comments.

I went through an entire can of rust-oleum air craft remover on the fenders and tank tonight. After this I for sure recommend the dupli-color brand aircraft remover. It seems to be more of a foam over the clear rust-oleum. I'll porbably end up going the other can of rust-oleum that I have, and then switch back to the dupli-color.

Heres where I stopped tonight.

Last edited:
Wow. . . I didn't realize how long it had been since Iv'e updated this until now. Haha.

Picked up a 6.5 HF special :laugh:

And here it is!

I really like the primer look, but I might end up repainting it later on down the line.

Had to represent :laugh:

I do have a few more things to do though.

As you can see, and exhaust is needed PRONTO. :blink:
I've ordered one from AGK that is made for the baja warrior. Im hoping it will fit just the same.

The front suspension works for the most part, but I'd rather replace it with something new. Any ideas?

Had to beat the crap out of this thing to get it somewhat straight. It's rideable, but like the suspension. I'd prefer replacing it with something new!

I have been having a blast riding this thing!
There is a bike path that follows a canal down the street from me. So I've been riding it up there as not to draw attention from the police, haha.

I zip tied my gorilla mobile iphone tripod to the handle bars so I could use a speedometer app.

Not to bad for a stock 6.5 with my fat :censure: on it. :thumbsup:

Heres an instagram pic from a spot along the canal.

Welcome back! That was some seriose hiatus man!!:laugh: Get that thing done and get out and ride!:thumbsup: A word of caution if ya didnt know...dont plug that vent on the gas tank since you took off the charcoal canister...youll get vapor lock! Get a dirt bike or atv fuel vent tube and cap! (if you already didnt know):thumbsup:

Welcome back! That was some seriose hiatus man!!:laugh: Get that thing done and get out and ride!:thumbsup: A word of caution if ya didnt know...dont plug that vent on the gas tank since you took off the charcoal canister...youll get vapor lock! Get a dirt bike or atv fuel vent tube and cap! (if you already didnt know):thumbsup:
I've been riding every day! :scooter:

I took it off and left the little nipple :clown: on it. It seems to be fine for now. No fuel escaping from it or anything. I'm looking into a new gas tank anyways. I found a couple on ebay for like 50 bucks shipped. I'll update this as I go, and not a year later from now on, haha.

Yay! Got my new gas tank today! I've seen a few of these around on the forums, and figured it would look the best, considering I ditched the cosmetic tank pretty much right away. And for the price it was definitely the tank for me!

Here are some pics.

As you can see, I also picked up 10 feet of clear blue fuel line.

I ordered everything this past saturday. So 4 buisness days later I recieved everything, pretty quick!

Now if only AGK would get my order together and shipped. . .
Its been over a month. . .

:censure::censure::censure::censure:

Well, after over a month of battling with AGK. . . I finally got my parts! Well. . .most of them. I ended up canceling the header I ordered because of the ridiculous run around they've been giving me.

I've ordered a header from hotrodminibike.com And I must say. . . THEY ARE AWESOME. I had to call him twice in the same day to ask questions, and they were all answered with a friendly attitude. My header has already been shipped and should arrive this friday!