New Here, New Project: Murray Mini Bike

Would this Sprocket and Clutch fit the Murray and Predator?

3 4" Clutch Chain 35 60T Sprocket Brake Drum Band Cable Go Kart Mini Bike | eBay

Again, sorry for the 7 million Questions. Thanks!
I think the chain is going to be a little short. A simple way to estimate the length of chain needed is to mock up a sprocket out of cardboard (I think 60 is about 8" diameter) and tape it to the existing sprocket. Mount the wheel/sprocket, locate your engine and run a string all the way around and add 2" just for a margin of error. The other area of concern is the total width of the hub with the brake drum.

CarPlay should weigh in on whether what you've got will work, and you might want to send him a private message so he's got a heads up and can help you. It's always a good idea to find a member who has built something similar to what you're doing, he/she can guide you through the problems you're sure to encounter. It's a lot better than head-banging like I'm doing with the freak motor I built for Gangsta' Cat.:facepalm:

CarPlayLB

Would this Sprocket and Clutch fit the Murray and Predator?

3 4" Clutch Chain 35 60T Sprocket Brake Drum Band Cable Go Kart Mini Bike | eBay

Again, sorry for the 7 million Questions. Thanks!
as long as the sprocket will bolt on, you'll be fine with that setup! I have no experience with that combo. Remember, the tires are taller than most minis, and the #35 chain clutch has more teeth! Example, with the 12 tooth clutch and the 60 tooth sprocket, you are at 5 to 1. A #40/41 clutch has 10 teeth going to a 60 too sprocket is 6 to 1. You may need a larger rear sprocket with the 35 chain. I have no experience with this as I have always used 41 chain as all my minibikes are 23HP or bigger!

as long as the sprocket will bolt on, you'll be fine with that setup! I have no experience with that combo. Remember, the tires are taller than most minis, and the #35 chain clutch has more teeth! Example, with the 12 tooth clutch and the 60 tooth sprocket, you are at 5 to 1. A #40/41 clutch has 10 teeth going to a 60 too sprocket is 6 to 1. You may need a larger rear sprocket with the 35 chain. I have no experience with this as I have always used 41 chain as all my minibikes are 23HP or bigger!
Great googly-moogly! 23hp or better??? Outa my league, my man!:laugh:

And, I'd stay with a #40 or 41 chain with your engine, like CarPlay says he does.

Last edited:
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'm looking for a Clutch/Chain/Brake now. Then possibly Tires as mine seem to have some cracks in them. Better safe than sorry.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'm looking for a Clutch/Chain/Brake now. Then possibly Tires as mine seem to have some cracks in them. Better safe than sorry.
There are some good tools on the main page that you may want to check out. The gear ratio and speed calculator is a must. You can find 10 tooth clutches for decent prices on eBay. Sprockets are best through OldMiniBikes or some of the Kart websites. Remember with #40/#41 chain, you have to have a rear sprocket designed for it.