New Member From Sacramento

Hi guys. A couple of days ago I got this minibike for free. All I know is that it was really old, did not run, and the rear tire was flat. The engine is a Briggs flathead, and what's odd is that to start it, you have to wind a rope around this pulley deal on the side of the motor. The carb was totally clogged, but after I cleaned it, and ran it a few times, it reliably starts with one pull, although it smokes when you rev it up with the engine cold. I ordered an inner tube, and am waiting for that to come in. Sorry for the pics, I'll post better ones later when it's daytime.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Where can I get brake pads for this thing?
2. Is the motor original?

Last edited:
Not quite sure how, the crank and flywheel are completely different from a pull start Briggs I looked at. This engine's crank doesn't have a part that sticks out where the ratcheting mechanism would attach, and the flywheel doesn't have a place for a mechanism to bolt onto. :shrug: Guess I should wear jeans whenever I ride this thing.

I've got a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Where can I get brake pads for this thing?
2. Is the motor original?
We have a resident Jedi on Foxes here, Ogygopsis. Search around for a while on here for "Fox Doodlebug". You'll find some posts to help you out. Fox had other bikes that have some things in common with yours too, Trailbug, Sprite, and Campus. And, if you still have questions, send a PM to Ogygopsis. If I were to guess, I'd say that your engine is not original to the bike. I haven't seen a Briggs that vintage on a Fox doodlebug from those years. Keep us posted on your progress! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just noticed it's a disc brake and not a drum :facepalm:

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the forums. Nowhere else will you find such a family and a concentration of knowledge. Scottessey is right. Ogy will chime in soon with a wealth of invaluable information. You have a reasonably complete Fox Doodlebug. I am going to hazard by the rear bracket just underneath the back of the seat that it is possibly from 1965-1969. Next I would put it in the earlier era of that as the fork has the cast nut and the forks split in half to get them off. I wish I had those forks on my Doodlebugs. It looks like you have the complete disc brake for it and the pucks are available through OldMiniBikes warehouse. I have forgotten if these take the full round or semi round puck. You have the little tubes on the upper forks for a windshield or mirrors. I believe you have the original grips and throttle on there. You also have the original fenders which are not necessarily easy to find. As for the engine, I do not think that is original. Having said these things, I am by no means an authority on them.

As a small wheel Fox guy, you have a beautiful bike for restoration. Very nice addition.

Do a search for Fox Doodlebug or a tag search for Fox and you will find some great info on these bikes.

Doc

Last edited:
Hello Noob, Read your PM and logged onto your thread. I've got to tell you that Docdc, Scottessy, and Buckeye did an excellent job with identifying and giving you an accurate assessment of your bike. I'll add what I can. Bike is a Fox Doodlebug. Model is either a #1262 or #1264. The 1262 came without a motor and you could add your own. The 1264 came with a three or four hp Briggs. Because your motor appears to be a late 1950's model ; it could have been installed by the purchaser on a 1262 or it could have replaced an original Briggs that came on a 1264. So there's no way to tell which model you have. The year is most likely a late 1965 or 1966. I'm basing this on the following. The brake lever is original and does not have a ball on the end. After 66 they put a ball on the end as a safety precaution. Your footpegs have slots for rubber inserts. After 66 they eliminated these inserts. You have a tri-lobed nut on the triple tree. This was eliminated in 65-66 in favor of a bolt. The earlier models 60's models had a 5" Bendix internal expanding brake. The disc brake came later. That narrows the year down to 1965 to 1966. Your grips and throttle are original. If you look on the grips it should say Doherty. Seat appears to be original. Original kickstand has been lost and a bracket welded on for a replacement one. Fenders were a $4.95 option and are original. Hopefully, that will be enough information to get you going. Let me know if you need any additional help. Good luck. Ogy

6doggie3

Hello and nice mini to start with! I met a guy in sac that had a few Fox Doodlebugs not sure if He still has them but I can check for parts?

Well, I could use a kickstand for sure.

On another note, are any lighting kits available for these bikes? I'd like a working headlight and taillight, is there a way to install a lighting coil or do you have to buy a motor with a lighting coil built in?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Last edited: