newest addition to the heald herd

Just brought this one home after a 1300 mile ride from Utah. Thank you Dave for selling this to me. 1970 heald VT1. The motor date code is 700209. February other 1970. I will be looking for an original seat to copy for it. It's not a 100%complete but it is a survivor to me. I will get more pics posted when I get it unloaded out of the truck.

Very nice Rick !

Is that a two speed set up plus band brake, or simply a jackshaft with a drum (whatever you call it) for a band brake ?

Were many of them that green color (could that color have had anything to do with the forestry service ?)...or did they come unpainted ?

And how's the motor ?

Boy, we ask a bunch'o questions don't we...:laugh:

Last edited:
What guard goes on that one?
It will be a metal cover. I thought it was the same one that was used on early VT2. VT3. VT7. Not sure now. I need to set a cover up on it. I only have brochures for reference on this bike. I need to get a hold of MarkG on here to see if the one in his garage has it on it still. I will probably leave this bike sit like this for a while and use it for reference on restoring the one I got from peekster a couple years ago.

Very nice Rick !

Is that a two speed set up plus band brake, or simply a jackshaft with a drum (whatever you call it) for a band brake ?

Were many of them that green color (could that color have had anything to do with the forestry service ?)...or did they come unpainted ?

And how's the motor ?

Boy, we ask a bunch'o questions don't we...:laugh:
It has the original 2 speed and band brake on jackshaft yet. Motor is missing carb and air cleaner but it is the original motor for the bike. I have never seen one this original so I have to say the color is original and a guy in Chicago had one for sale a while back that he said he restored 7 years ago and it was originally green too. I thought they were either red or blue. This bike will be used as a reference for restoring the vt1 I got from Mike peek a couple years ago.