no spark on my briggs HELP!!!

mac350

i just got a new mini last night and the guy i got it from said that it had no spark. i got it home and he was right. the first thing i did was pull it apart. i figured it was the magneto and that i would swap it out. further inspection of it i saw that it had a wire coming from the back of the flywheel so i took it off. it looks like ti went to a set of points which i never saw before on any of my minis. could the no spark be from the mag or the points i am not sure. i am posting a couple of pics of the points. the motor is a 3hp briggs.

You can usually clean the points' contacts. They make contact with the end of the condensor. Clean the magnet on the flywheel. Clean the part of the coil that picks up the magnet signal, gap the coil to flywheel with a business card and unhook the kill switch if you have one. If that doesn't do it, go to ebay and search for 397358. This is the Magnetron coil. If you use that, just cut the wire to the points and bolt on the new coil. There is a tab on the Magnetrons to run a kill wire to. The Magnetron is the cheapest sure fire fix, and your idle and ease of starting will be improved.:thumbsup:

well you have to put the wire back on that was going to the points from the coil, because that is what tells the spark plug to fire. you might also want to make sure the points gap is correct, if you don't know how to do this or if you just don't want to fuss with it, just swap out the coil for a new coil from an electronic ignition engine, then that eliminates the use of the points, and you won't have to bother with them.

clean the contacs of the points and clean the pickups on the coil and you should have spark for sure without buying a coil so far it has worked for me everytime 3/3

mac350

you guys rule !!! i did like you said and just cleaned all the contacts and i got spark. lolol i never thought that would happen. thanks guys

Yea those things are picky. I recently had an HS50 with no spark. I thought i needed a whole new magneto. But a few passes with sand paper and it works fine now!