Open Class: drbhuntnfish 2x2 hydrostatic minibaja

Alien vs. Predator. Way too cool. I think I can manage my magneto adjustment now after seeing what you've done! I'm humbled and impressed....Spooker

Thanks guys! The way it's turning out, there is a certain 'industrial' look to the bike which I find kind of appealing. Just for the sake of completeness, here's a view of the other side I took:

The aluminum block that all the hoses are hooked up is basically the grand central station of the plumbing - fluid leaves or returns through the manifold.

Basically there are two main circuits for the hydraulic fluid:
One circiut goes from the pump to the manifold, to the rear motor back to the manifold, to the front motor back to the manifold, and back to the pump.
That's the closed circuit 'hydrostatic' loop.

The second loop starts at the reservoir, goes into the charge pump at relatively low pressure ~100 psi, which keeps the main pump supplied with fluid at all times. From there, the oil is filtered through the manifold and returns to the reservoir. There is a checkvalve in the manifold which bleeds some of the charge pump oil to the front motor if the motor ist turning faster than the rear motor, so the front motor won't starve in a turn. There are case drain ports on the pump and the motors which bleeds off any oil that leaks past the seals; these are also connected to the manifold and this oil is also sent back to the reservoir.

Ill post a pump and single motor diagram which schematically shows what's going on in a sec...

Ashamed to admit...I can't even weld.......I mean not Yet anyway!
You all are way ahead of me; I know, bc I've read all of your build logs!

Humbled by the compliments,
D-

Almost there, but not quite done ..

Hello Everyone!

Well, I wasn't able to completely finish my hydraulic 2x2 bike as I had hoped. I am still hard at work on it, but I ran into a snag trying to fit an oil reservoir and a gas tank in such a small space without modifying the frame. I tried pvc tanks, air compressor tanks, harley davidson dual tanks; wasted a lot of $, but nothing fit right, the way that I wanted it to.

However, I am glad to say I now have reached a final plan for the tanks, and the bike is still coming together! I will be making dual cylinder tanks out of aluminum which will bolt parallel to the top tube. The aluminum parts in transit as I type this.

Thanks to you all, and especially Clayon for hosting the build-off this year. I would have never gotten this far along with my project if I had just done this on my own.

Even though I didn't finish this project by the end of May, I still plan to continue through to the end of the build, which actually is like a month away- is it possible that the threads can remain open so that I can complete my bike and finish well?

One thing that I'm really happy to report - my work has agreed to send me to a Fluid Power Conference and Expo next month... I'm super excited to get to go learn more about mobile hydraulic systems. All thanks to this little back yard project :laugh:

Best Regards,
Darrel Barnette

WLB

Sorry to see you didn't get that one finished in time. Hope you are finished before hunting season. Awesome concept. Congratulations on getting to go to the Fluid Power Conference and Expo.