Picked up a Cat Slingshot!

Thanks for all the info guy's i really like to learn everything i can about these.. also i found some #s stamed in the motor plate. did they put serial #s on these from the factory?..

Last edited:
I understand what your saying now Casey...but essentially the Slingshot was out before before they added the "R" designation (regardless if it was 71' or 72' haven't seen solid proof)
Yes...you are 100% correct in the rake difference and tire size between a Slingshot and the R3501. (the earlier 350SS as well)

I'll take a look at the rake difference for myself between earlier and later models Cats....i'm not convinced :eek:ut:

Alright....enough bickering from me...:laugh:

I'll take a look at the rake difference for myself between earlier and later models Cats....i'm not convinced :eek:ut::
I still am not on the same page is to what this means.
I never typed anything to do with early vs late Slingshots.
Just a comparison with the R3501.

I don't have one, so I can't measure if the 01 is the same wheel base.

I don't think your bickering. Just everyone trying to understand each other on forums thru typing is difficult.

Btw. I found a box for the Duster. I'll pm about shipping.

All Cats and bikes made by HPE/Muskin for Penney's/JCPenney's that I have seen have had some sort of serial number number in the engine plate.

Never have found out anything on them though.

All Cats and bikes made by HPE/Muskin for Penney's/JCPenney's that I have seen have had some sort of serial number number in the engine plate.

Never have found out anything on them though.
Ok I will see if i can decode anything on them..Mine are 7067231 if anyone else can post the #s and model of bike that would help.
Thanks..

Last edited:
used some paint remover to see the #s better, and there is light green paint under the spraybomb paint.. and the forks are chrome under the silver paint.. no decal though...So Chrome forks and Green paint..Slingshot correct?....

Ok I will see if i can decode anything on them..Mine are 7067231 if anyone else can post the #s and model of bike that would help.
Thanks..
From what I can tell the first 2 numbers indicate the year, so yours is a 1970.
I have 6 cat frames and they all line up with the years i believe them to be. 1969 Cats start with a 9. I have two '69 Cats that both start with a 9. two '70s that both start with 70. a '71 that starts with 71, and a '72 that starts with a 72.

From what I can tell the first 2 numbers indicate the year, so yours is a 1970.
I have 6 cat frames and they all line up with the years i believe them to be. 1969 Cats start with a 9. I have two '69 Cats that both start with a 9. two '70s that both start with 70. a '71 that starts with 71, and a '72 that starts with a 72.
Most of the time manufactures put serial #s on thier items for Quality control, so it makes since these minibikes would have some type of serial #s to track when it was made.. could the other #s be the model #s?...What we did on the Murray bicycles is start a list of the serial #s and make & model of bicycle it was..it didn't take long to see similarities in the #s, and now we can tell just by the serial # what year the bike was made, what model it was, how many gears it had, and the store it was sold through..so these #s can be a wealth of information..

Here are the #'s from my Cats.

9012988 - 1969 400x
9013264 - 1969 400x
7061840 - 1970 Slingshot
7030067 - 1970 Eliminator
7195312 - 1971 R4001
7218993 - 1972 R4001

Start decoding!