Piston Rings

Hello again, the generator I talked about in my other post was working fine but this afternoon after it ran out of gasoline waited until the engine was cold poured fresh fuel started after first pull like always it ran for less than a minute and turned off slowly like it ran out of gas, it wasn't an immediate shut off like it does with the oil shut off, tried to started and nothing checked for spark and it has strong blue color spark, sprayed starting fluid nothing happened, removed the valve cover turned engine by hand valves work like it should, what I did notice was without the valve cover the engine turns like no sparkplug is on, I installed the valve cover again and it turns normal again, I think the piston rings are done, turned engine with a finger where the sparkplug goes felt a bit of vacuum but no compression, now I wish to install new piston rings and not sure wish one works with this Honda Clone, its a JD 6.5HP All Power Generator APG3002.......
Model: EF:9JDGS.1961GA EM196cc displacement
Thanks in advance TP

Last edited:
compression release bleeds off most of the compression but closes when piston is near the top so there is just a little compression and a lot of vacuum.

While waiting for the order to arrived I decided to take the engine apart and found on the engine head lots of carbon built up with orange color, exhaust valve was not sealing, took valve grinding compound used it until both the valve and the seat were clean, put it all together and started at first pull, thanks to you all for the help TP

125ccCrazy

yeah if either valve was leaking or sticking open that would certainly cause the lack of compression..good to hear that you got it back running..