Plastic piece on top of (stock) carb has been filed down

Hey Everyone,
I bought a doodlebug that was returned (for a discount) and I noticed that whoever had it altered something. The black plastic piece on the top of the carb that turns when you twist the throttle is suppose to have a little plastic "stop" on it. If you twist it to full throttle the little plastic thing is suppose to hit the metal so it can't go any further. The metal piece is right above the idle screw. I got this bike used but I have another one that I bought new to compare it to. Should I get a new plastic piece so it stops correctly? Anyone know what this does and if I should worrk about it? Sorry about the cruddy pic it's the best I could do right now. If you look at the pic, the plastic piece that swings around (when you twist the throttle) is to the left of the metal "tower" above the idle screw. Without the little plastic "bump" the piece goes a little further than it is suppose to. If this is sopmething I should fix, anyone know where I can get one for the stock carb and how it goes on. (and comes off)
Thanks!

Ya pic is poor quality but you really don't need it. If you've seen these carbs, you know what the spinning black plastic piece on the top of the carb is and the little bump that hits the metal part above the idle screw. The pic is mainly just to show you the metal piece that it it is suppose to hit against. The guy filed it down so it goes past the metal tower(in the pic).

OldMan

It was probably just a hard-stop throttle limit... the stock DB engines are so wimpy, the previous owner was probably trying to get more performance.

Ok I got a better pic

Here is a better pic. I was able to snap it while there was still some light out. The pencil is pointing to the plastic thing that twists and is suppose to hit the metal tower....you can see the filed down part (barely)

I just looked at my stock one. Yep you verified that that its been altered.

So the question is, What problem are you having with it? Or are you just telling us about it. No problem no worry ride it. Problem replace the motor with a clone and be done with the stock POS.

(BTW that is connected to the butterfly inside. If you move it to far from center it will start slowing the RPM's down, because it works in both directions.)

Last edited:
small problem maybe?

It's not anything too noticable. At full throttle it revs,relaxes,revs,relaxes slightly. Sometimes it smooths out and doesn't do that at all. I really don't know if that has to do with it or not. I'm just wondering if I'm going to create a future issue by ingoring this....otherwise I'll just leave it alone...thanks.

The rev and relaxing you are feeling is the governor working. Thats what it is suppose to do. I heard you can change that if you change the spring area to a solid rod (or paper clip) Do a search you should be able to find the info you need.

Ratbike

Yep

(BTW that is connected to the butterfly inside. If you move it to far from center it will start slowing the RPM's down, because it works in both directions.)
Yep...

Ratbike

The rev and relaxing you are feeling is the governor working. Thats what it is suppose to do. I heard you can change that if you change the spring area to a solid rod (or paper clip) Do a search you should be able to find the info you need.
Also, on some motors there are different holes you can move the spring to that will slightly tighten up the spring:hammer: to solve that rev-relax problem. You might take a look