(poll) kick starters

mybiz

I had to invest $133.50 in a broken FAIRBANKS MORSE KICK STARTER hope i didnt make anyone ticked off if you were bidding on it you werent going to win the bid anyhow sorry my max bid was way up there anyhow I got this thing to use a pattern to start making my own and mine will fit many diferent brands of engines. And will not be a breakable type of metal. All im wanting to know if there will be a market for them. And the price would be well under $300.00 and would more than likely be crome or stainless something that will look good and last a long time. This is just a poll to see if it is worth my time to begin building these Im going to make some for myself anyhow Our machines are starting to gather dust!:grind::hack::hammer::doah::doah: How many do you want:thumbsup:

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

how will they be made?? CNC billet alum?, diecast??

with the economy as it is the price will have to be way below $300 to gain much interest IMO, the kick starters are more of a novelty item than anything unless someone is restoring a bike that came factory with one and then more than likely they will want the real deal so it's correct...

I wouldn't expect to get rich, might be a nice hobby money maker...

Sorry to say if you built the part strong enough not to break you are still attaching it to a sheet metal shroud so the next weakest link is going to suffer. These were made for kids for use on a mini bike their size and the force they could transfer to the product would of been only a fraction of what a grown man can deliver. I sold the Hagar 4 Kick Start when I had the store and as said before it was a novelty thing.
Steve Durham :scooter:

It pretty much all comes down to price, I wouldn't mind one for my Rupp but I'm not going to pay 200-300 for one that's for sure. I would say make one see what you could do them for then you will get serious feedback.

mybiz

you do have a point about the sheet metal i've also thought about how am i going to fab something simple to cure that i guess thats what a cnc will help me with I do know that they do look cool though even nicer cromed! I know i've got a long road ahead of me but what else is there to do my doc cut me off:drinkup: and all the fun habits :doah:

125ccCrazy

you do have a point about the sheet metal i've also thought about how am i going to fab something simple to cure that i guess thats what a cnc will help me with I do know that they do look cool though even nicer cromed! I know i've got a long road ahead of me but what else is there to do my doc cut me off:drinkup: and all the fun habits :doah:
Nothing wrong with giving it a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up on having a huge interest unless you can mass produce them and sell them cheaper.... for a novelty or conversation piece they would be pretty cool for sure...

If nothing else you could have the satisfaction of doing it for yourself and saying you made it...:thumbsup:

mybiz

Nothing wrong with giving it a shot but I wouldn't get my hopes up on having a huge interest unless you can mass produce them and sell them cheaper.... for a novelty or conversation piece they would be pretty cool for sure...

If nothing else you could have the satisfaction of doing it for yourself and saying you made it...:thumbsup:
thats what im wanting to do is sale them no higher than $150 im talking with a guy in texas about a mold then i can do the rest:hammer::eek:ut:

my opinion

My addition to your poll is they beat the heck out of you shin, they will eventually break the blower housing and unless you have a super tuned engine they don't spin it enough to start the engine. However I'm always looking for a deal when I see them, and as stated before there simply a novelty.
randy:scooter:

they maid the kids of the day feel like they had
a real motorcycle,cool looking,but ended up putting ther org,pull starter back
on,so they would start a lot quicker, i have great ads for them,but the manufatures quit making them,they were neet to look at,but to start a minibike,the engine had to be tuned wright,,but most young guys could not
tune them,result was sore leg/sometimes broken leg,then some lawsuits,
the guys maid some good kick starters,but put on a not so good engine,
they were a pain in the rear end,then got dad to start it or at least try,
then that killed the kick starter,,so the old org, ones are now a collecters
item,i have some hanging in the shop for display,and the last 2 bikes that i
got that had them i pulled,sold 1 gave 1 to a member,but he just wonted
it for a display bike that he never rides,but it looks neat on the bike,thats
my 2 cents,worth.:smile::smile: