Powell 3867 D New Mod Project

In January of 2013 my brother David started a restore thread on my Powell 3867 D. This bike was originally bought from a member in TX. It wasn’t a completely original restore, more of a retro-mod restore. He did a beautiful job on the bike. The bike has an original Powell throttle, spark arrestor, Driver and Driven, Belt guard, and 5HP Briggs; well actually everything. The restore included a painted frame, powder coated wheels, chrome forks, seat bracket, brake lever, and engine shifter. The additional chrome, other then the forks and stripped engine block are not original to the bike. See pics below: I have decided to mod this bike.

Before pic

After pic

The modifications will be few, see below:

Engine: Honda GX 200 Stock Mod from NR Racing.
Replacement of the stock Briggs 5HP with a Honda GX200 “Stock” motor from NR Racing. These motors are not exactly stock, they include heavier valve springs, re-jetted stock carb, and removal of governor. The result is a GX200 that runs max 5200 rpms and produces 10+ HP, according to NR Racing. After David and I build the Super Powell we learned several things, the Comet TC 30 we tired could not handle 9000 plus rpms, a Comet 40 is really big and cumbersome for a mini and consequently we were forced to use a jackshaft and play with different gearing. That bike currently has an 11:1 final ratio now. It accelerates very quickly, but top end is limited to about 45 mph. The whole experience with the Super Powell made me want to try and put an engine on a Powell where I could use a 30 series TC and still have pretty good HP, but the only way this would work was too use an engine with less revs. Thus, this engine seemed like a good compromise. I also wanted an electric start, I hate pulling a rope.

Torque Converter: Original Comet 30 TC
The TC mount will be moved from its original position on the Model D ( just forward of the swing arm bolt) to the swing arm bolt position, like the Model E has. David is going to take a 5/8” jackshaft and turn it down on one end to fit the original Powell swing arm bearing, but the other end will be the 5/8” jackshaft where the driven and sprocket out will be mounted. We also plan to put bushing in the swing arms. At this point I am not sure if I’ll use a 6” or 7” Driven.

Battery: Ballistic Performance Battery, 4 Cell EVO2
I am using this battery on the Super Powell. It measures about 2.5” x 2.5” x 4” and weights about 9 ozs, cool little battery. According to the manufacture, this size will start a 400cc motor. Will need to fab a mount to go in the seat uprights.

Frame Finish Silver/Chrome:
I’m either going with Chrome, all remaining parts, or a grey-silver powder coat, similar to my Bonanza MX. I plan to ride this bike frequently and want a finish that will not show scratches easily.

When its finished, it will be a Powell Model D with a 10HP Honda GX200, Comet 30 TC, and will be silver in color, chrome or powder coat. This weekend I removed all parts that won’t be used on the new bike and started planning the engine mounting and jackshaft systems.

Hopefully it will turn out like Tonys and George's, but with a little more power. Maybe I can pack this bike when I come out yo see you guys.

Itype2slo

Jesse, looks like it's gonna be sweet. Can you keep it a shifter with the honda. Or is the shifter out the window, and if so is it for sale? Let's me know. Thanks

Jesse, looks like it's gonna be sweet. Can you keep it a shifter with the honda. Or is the shifter out the window, and if so is it for sale? Let's me know. Thanks

Hey, no the shifter will be retired. The engine will have to be stationary for the TC 30 to work. I've also decided to save all parts; a lot of them were fairly expensive NOS pieces, sorry.

Jesse

In January of 2013 my brother David started a restore thread on my Powell 3867 D. This bike was originally bought from a member in TX. It wasn’t a completely original restore, more of a retro-mod restore. He did a beautiful job on the bike. The bike has an original Powell throttle, spark arrestor, Driver and Driven, Belt guard, and 5HP Briggs; well actually everything. The restore included a painted frame, powder coated wheels, chrome forks, seat bracket, brake lever, and engine shifter. The additional chrome, other then the forks and stripped engine block are not original to the bike. See pics below: I have decided to mod this bike.

Before pic

After pic

The modifications will be few, see below:

Engine: Honda GX 200 Stock Mod from NR Racing.
Replacement of the stock Briggs 5HP with a Honda GX200 “Stock” motor from NR Racing. These motors are not exactly stock, they include heavier valve springs, re-jetted stock carb, and removal of governor. The result is a GX200 that runs max 5200 rpms and produces 10+ HP, according to NR Racing. After David and I build the Super Powell we learned several things, the Comet TC 30 we tired could not handle 9000 plus rpms, a Comet 40 is really big and cumbersome for a mini and consequently we were forced to use a jackshaft and play with different gearing. That bike currently has an 11:1 final ratio now. It accelerates very quickly, but top end is limited to about 45 mph. The whole experience with the Super Powell made me want to try and put an engine on a Powell where I could use a 30 series TC and still have pretty good HP, but the only way this would work was too use an engine with less revs. Thus, this engine seemed like a good compromise. I also wanted an electric start, I hate pulling a rope.

Torque Converter: Original Comet 30 TC
The TC mount will be moved from its original position on the Model D ( just forward of the swing arm bolt) to the swing arm bolt position, like the Model E has. David is going to take a 5/8” jackshaft and turn it down on one end to fit the original Powell swing arm bearing, but the other end will be the 5/8” jackshaft where the driven and sprocket out will be mounted. We also plan to put bushing in the swing arms. At this point I am not sure if I’ll use a 6” or 7” Driven.

Battery: Ballistic Performance Battery, 4 Cell EVO2
I am using this battery on the Super Powell. It measures about 2.5” x 2.5” x 4” and weights about 9 ozs, cool little battery. According to the manufacture, this size will start a 400cc motor. Will need to fab a mount to go in the seat uprights.

Frame Finish Silver/Chrome:
I’m either going with Chrome, all remaining parts, or a grey-silver powder coat, similar to my Bonanza MX. I plan to ride this bike frequently and want a finish that will not show scratches easily.

When its finished, it will be a Powell Model D with a 10HP Honda GX200, Comet 30 TC, and will be silver in color, chrome or powder coat. This weekend I removed all parts that won’t be used on the new bike and started planning the engine mounting and jackshaft systems.

I'll buy the Briggs :smile:

Hey guys, I've decided not to sell any of the parts. I have another original Powell D, Scott's bike, you never know when you might need parts. I may even decide to put this bike back together original.

Keep that bike together and built the other one. I'd be a shame imo but its your stuff, do as you wish
Yep thats what i said .:thumbsup:

I restored that bike and i thought he'd never touch it , but i guess i was wrong .
I think he should take apart the other one ,scottessy's bike . It beat out the scottessy powell in the windber show last year , so lets cut up the second place bike .:shrug:

Yep thats what i said .:thumbsup:

I restored that bike and i thought he'd never touch it , but i guess i was wrong .
I think he should take apart the other one ,scottessy's bike . It beat out the scottessy powell in the windber show last year , so lets cut up the second place bike .:shrug:

Well guys this is the story, Scott's bike is an original, perfect restore, all model specific parts along with Scott's perfect execution. It look great. I bought it because it is perfectly restored. Check out the pics below. In addition, the sons of the Powell Brothers signed the bike and gave Scott the last of two original Powell belt guard stickers to display on the bike. David's restore is very good, but I plan to keep Scott's bike as my perfect example of a Powell.

Well the Honda from NR Racing arrived today. It is fitted with a smaller gas tank from a GX120. It also has an electric start panel that will be relocated to the top bar. I trial fitted it today and it will fit on the existing Model D pivot mount. It will have to be stabilized so it does not rock. Next, on to the jackshaft system and the battery tray.