Powell colors

6doggie3

I have a clutch cover that looks to have original orange paint on the inside?

I know they built a yellow one before from the cover R&C Mag

Couldn't they have made a few other colors beside red, blue and green?

6doggie3

Their was this one that I think BaB owned ?

But either way I plan on painting My J model orange to match the cover. First have to complete D Model which I have running and going out
to take for a ride after I log off then it's time for the teardown!

Itype2slo

Hey Doggie, old buddy would you like to move one of those covers? Or rent one out so I can get ask OND to make a fiberglass knock off?

That rear suspension on the powell's was pretty ingenious for the day. Other than this site I never saw one growing up on the east coast.

6doggie3

Hey Doggie, old buddy would you like to move one of those covers? Or rent one out so I can get ask OND to make a fiberglass knock off?
When ever Eric is ready to make these two of I think 4 styles we can work something out!

Itype2slo do you have a tread of your Powell?

Last edited:

Itype2slo

Doggie, It is a j model. If you send yours to OND he can make copies for us I will cover it. This is the bike with the cover it came with it was as big as the sideboards. I took it off now it's scary. PM me thanks.

That rear suspension on the powell's was pretty ingenious for the day. Other than this site I never saw one growing up on the east coast.
ole , I think the rear suspension was pretty cool and advanced for its time...and so was the shifter type power range system that tilted the whole engine back and forth for power and speed.

Last edited:
As a former POWELL DEALER and only 15 miles from their shop I never saw any thing but the Red and the Blue models.
If you have been deprived of the thrill of riding a good running Powell than I would say make it a quest to find one. I never got to ride an early side shifter model all my bikes had the full torque converters.
Steve

I have a clutch cover that looks to have original orange paint on the inside?

I know they built a yellow one before from the cover R&C Mag

Couldn't they have made a few other colors beside red, blue and green?
I just came from the paint store and they used the computer matcher on my clutch cover and found the closest match to the Lime green "H" model cover you have in your picture.

Try matching it with:

PPG
Hot Lime

This is for acrylic enamel 3 part paint.

Now I'm trying to match that number with a powder coat paint before I decide to either paint my frame or powder coat it.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have an idea on the original colors on the Powell decal on the other side of your clutch cover would you? I think I'll start another thread and see if any experts have an idea. I know a guy that might be able to re-pop a few of these type Powell decals.

100_1631 1.jpg

6doggie3

Itype2slo sent me link to this Powell looks like an original paint color to Me?

Not as old as the one on the cover of the Rod & Custom mag but yellow none the less!

Guys I got my Powell (finally , lil sister had it for over a year now ) it is a 6903 J , so should be a Phantom as I've been told , it's Blue , not original blue I don't think but I had to steel wool the paint off to get to the #'s and nothing but blue to bare steel ! I'm in to help cover expenses , I'm curious though if Eric makes a mold , the original was sheet metal , how difficult would it be to stamp them vs fiberglass ??

Itype2slo sent me link to this Powell looks like an original paint color to Me?

Not as old as the one on the cover of the Rod & Custom mag but yellow none the less!
That looks like the original yellow to me. To get a match with the computer, you would have to find a unfaded section like on the inside on the clutch cover.

Guys I got my Powell (finally , lil sister had it for over a year now ) it is a 6903 J , so should be a Phantom as I've been told , it's Blue , not original blue I don't think but I had to steel wool the paint off to get to the #'s and nothing but blue to bare steel ! I'm in to help cover expenses , I'm curious though if Eric makes a mold , the original was sheet metal , how difficult would it be to stamp them vs fiberglass ??
Ang...I don't know how I missed this post...sorry. I can do the fiberglass repopp pretty cheap....not sure about stamping them, I'm sure the steel mold would be kinda expensive and something I wouldn't want to do . Let me know if you need a cover....I can build the fiberglass mold for about $75.00....no labor just materials.

Ang...I don't know how I missed this post...sorry. I can do the fiberglass repopp pretty cheap....not sure about stamping them, I'm sure the steel mold would be kinda expensive and something I wouldn't want to do . Let me know if you need a cover....I can build the fiberglass mold for about $75.00....no labor just materials.
10-4 Eric , my Powell is going to be a down the road project and I have to verify exactly which cover it was , I think it is just like the yellow one above ?