Predator engine on motorcycle frame?

Well, at my scrap yard they have cheap stuff and I saw an old motorcycle.

It looked like it was pretty lightweight

It probably won't run, but my though was that it might be cool to put a Predator 212 in it

Can this be done easily? With a good mount will it work good? Enough power?

Let me know what you think of my idea

Easily? Not really. And the rolling frame you are working with needs to already have brakes that are in good condition, not have any bearings that need to be replaced, and it would help if it's a comparatively lightweight frame.

With a lot of work I shoehorned a GX200 clone into a dirt bike frame.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/94482-impaler.html
The Predator 212 is only slightly different parts in a few places compared to a GX200 so you'll run into many of the same issues I faced.

I was lucky that I didn't have to make any massive cuts in my frame to get the CVT to line up with the rear sprocket. I did initial alignment and mock-up using a dirt bike stand (to level the bike) and an electric straddle stacker forklift to position the engine so I could measure its placement.

Easily? Not really. And the rolling frame you are working with needs to already have brakes that are in good condition, not have any bearings that need to be replaced, and it would help if it's a comparatively lightweight frame.

With a lot of work I shoehorned a GX200 clone into a dirt bike frame.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/94482-impaler.html
The Predator 212 is only slightly different parts in a few places compared to a GX200 so you'll run into many of the same issues I faced.

I was lucky that I didn't have to make any massive cuts in my frame to get the CVT to line up with the rear sprocket. I did initial alignment and mock-up using a dirt bike stand (to level the bike) and an electric straddle stacker forklift to position the engine so I could measure its placement.

The motorcycle frame is much different than that one.

The motorcycle frame is much different than that one.
Any idea on the make/model? Before I made mine I was inclined towards making a diesel bike. But later decided it was outside my budget.

If you want to actually get a motorcycle frame to move under the influence of a 6.5hp motor it's going to need to be a frame that's on the lighter side. Touring Motorcycles and Harleys (Cruisers) are not going to work well because they weigh too much. Japanese standards should be light enough if the frame is intended for an engine below 400cc.
Sport bikes are probably going to be too difficult to shoe horn an alternate engine into because of how their engine mounts tend to be oriented.

Last edited:
Any idea on the make/model? Before I made mine I was inclined towards making a diesel bike. But later decided it was outside my budget.

If you want to actually get a motorcycle frame to move under the influence of a 6.5hp motor it's going to need to be a frame that's on the lighter side. Touring Motorcycles and Harleys (Cruisers) are not going to work well because they weigh too much. Japanese standards should be light enough if the frame is intended for an engine below 400cc.
Sport bikes are probably going to be too difficult to shoe horn an alternate engine into because of how their engine mounts tend to be oriented.
Yeah I am looking to build something a lot like that

I am going to a motorcycle scrap yard soon to look for something small.

I hope I find something tiny and cool to work on all summer:laugh:

cxbra

Even if you found a rolling chassis around 100 pounds (it would most likely be 150 pounds, even for a dirtbike or lightweight road bike), im not sure of you would get the performance out of it that you want. Full suspension soaks up a lot of hp, and you would have to gear it for about 35mph if you wanted any sort of acceleration. Taking a motorcycle that did over 60mph and designing it for 35mph seems a little bit backwards but we all have a dream :thumbsup:. I could see a Predator 420cc with the electric start being a good engine choice, depending on the size of the motorcycle (it would be expensive, time consuming and not sure if the engine will even fit in the cradle). If you have mechanical skills, it might be better to make your own motorcycle sized mini. It would weigh 1/3 the weight of a motorcycle chassis and you can build it how you want to. I would think a rigid frame, super long and tall.

I think I have pretty much the perfect rolling frame for that set up, 1985 KX125 roller. Paint isn't pretty, but it's clean, and the brakes are all there (and it's still got the controls mounted on those pretty Renthal bars!).