predor hard to start after mods

I bought a brand new hemi head predator. installed .308 dyno billet cam new springs billet rod billet flywheel stainless valves. after reassembling its almost impossible to pull start engine I got it to start one time.. checked timing and valve lash both seem good. btw I used the thinner head gasket... anybody that has any ideas would be nice:)

trinik7597

i would check the valve lash again !! does the 308 billet cam have a comp. release on it ?? wait is it a hemi head ?? that could be your problem right there i have read that the hemi head is only good to like a 275 lift past that you will have problems :thumbsup:

from what I read everything should be bolt in. I spun the engine by hand didn't see any coil bind. valve lash is at .005 I believe.. I know its set to dyno cams recommendation. the problem is compression related. the push rods are stock

trinik7597

well you have not increased the comp !!! unless your cam does not have a comp release on it which i do not think it does . electric starter recommended on non comp release cams . when you ordered the cam did you tell them you are running it in a hemi not a gx200 ??

I'm with Tim....maybe to much compression ...you might want to put the .040 headgasket back on it...and besure theres no coil bind.

trinik7597

also lash should be .003 running temp so you want to be almost 0 cold !! still think the problem is in the cam to hemi head . that cam is 320 lift to the valves and i know that i have read with out mods the hemi head is only good to like a 275 lift . someone who knows want to chime in on this ??? :thumbsup: hey eric you used a hemi head on your build what cam did you run ??

Tim, I ran the Black Mamba from Tim Isky ...reason being I heard the same thing about the bigger cams and the Hemi head engine, Isky's cam is 274 lift and I ran the .041 head gasket...and flatmilled the head I think .020. or .030.
Black Mamba cam does have the exhaust compression release, and the engine cranks and runs great.

Last edited:
Looks like I need to change my cam then... Question two would my stock cam last 1.5 hours this weekend with them springs I think there 32 lb whatever was recommended for 308 cam... Doesn't look like I can get the black mamba right now from here or nr... BTW thanks for the help

Your stock cam would be worth a try...to see if it cranks and runs OK...might not turn the R's you want tho...and I would leave the .010 head gasket on it with the stock cam...JMO

I was planning on doing that we backyard race this weekend I'm undefeated so far running a predator with bolt ons. But I've heard some chatter somebody built something to beat me and with our limited rules it wouldnt be hard to do so I wanted to have something faster in my backup kart just in case

trinik7597

slow down evile i am not saying i am right !! just what i have heard . there are a lot of guys who know more about the hemi heads on here i would wait and see what they say :thumbsup: maybe something pretty easy you can do .

ill prolly just brake down and buy a starter but in the mean time I just put the stock cam back in it left everything else the same... 8160 rpms was max on free load but I need to tweek the carb it running out of fuel and wont idle at all but I should be able to take care of that easy... them r's are impressive...

If you have the billet cam from dyno it does not have the comp release on it , and you won't pull start it . The .005 lash you set is to much , I don't care what dyno says its to much . Set to 0 like Trinik said .