Pulling without twisting throttle

Yeah it would be cool to get dirty. I just did quick search and looks like it will cost about $55 for a new crankshaft. Thinking using some JB Weld.

toomanytoys

I was hoping someone wouldn't say that. I really wanted to start off with this motor before I make that leap. The shaft is replaceable though right? I have a childhood friend who is a mechanic who I could probably talk into doing the work.
Check craigslist and ebay. I see those motors all the time, a lot of take offs never started sitting on there for under 50 dollars. Heck I bet a member here might even send you a 97cc DB engine if you pay shipping. They are all over the place.

I don't see JB weld working...

Its not so much as that is a terrible failure, well it is, but on just about any other engine its worth the time, effort and cash to repair. On that little engine its just not justifiable.

Thanks for the advice. I had already started to look on craigslist. I'll post in the classified section as well. I'm looking for the cheapest solution because my wife was already upset I paid $100 for the mini bike in the first place. No telling what she will say if I tell her its broke and I have to spend another $200 for another motor.

I would skip the craigslist ebay 97cc all together. Find an edger, snowblower, whatever, with a horizontal engine for $50. or less.

Local thrift store sell me edgers for around $35.

toomanytoys

Yeah I have been seeing a lot of snow blowers and power washers motors on craigslist. Those are normally two-stroke engines right?
There were some 2 stroke blowers, but most are just regular briggs 3.5 to 5s, or tecumsehs.

But here is my deal and the way I view things. Others will have different opinions.

You buy a used motor from some old piece of equipment. You will pay 35 to 50 bucks for it. Probably have to rebuild the carb, and buy parts to convert the throttle to work on a minibike. You will still have to drill holes or buy the adapter plate to use the motor on the doodle bug, you will still need a new clutch as your current one is metric, and you still need chain.

Ok, so basically a new predator is 99 dollars with the coupons that float around, you are only saving 50 or so dollars buying the used motor, then you still may put more than 50 in it getting it to run right. You profess you aren't the best mechanic, so it may be tough for you to get the old motor running correctly. Not saying you can't learn and there is no better learning tool than an old Tecumseh, nor a tool more frustrating.

I know your wife maybe angry(believe me I've dealt with angry wives, and none were more angry than me ex-wife) but you are leaps and bounds ahead to do it right the first time with a new motor than to try to use an old one.

Don't get me wrong here. I love old motors, I have one predator in my fleet the rest are old Tecumsehs. But for ease of use, always starts, and runs great the predator is the way to go.

Not to mention the loads of headers, intakes, carbs, fuel pumps, rods, fly wheels, pistons, heads and valve setups that can be added later to the predator. The only reason I suggested the used 97cc motor is the fact you can put that motor on and reuse all your parts.

Do what you wish, and everyone here will help you as much as we can. We all love to tinker, and we all love to share our ideas, and fixes to problems. This place is a true community and we all love to help.

If this is close to you... http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/4051220863.html

This is in my area, I actually made fun of the ad because most people won't even look at there engines. But 45 dollars each, with clutches http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/sno/4075700037.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the craigslist listing, but I am closer to DC and VA than I am to PA (or is that VA?). I like the idea of getting a 97cc motor and being able to reuse the current motor parts would be great. It would really be a good learning experience for me, plus it would give me a leg up if I decided to do the 6.5HP motor from HR swap. At first I thought the 6.5HP motors from HF were a direct swap, but the more I researched it the more I learned that wasn't the case. Other than the motor mount and the 3/4 12t clutch, what else would I need to get it to work?

toomanytoys

Thanks for the craigslist listing, but I am closer to DC and VA than I am to PA (or is that VA?). I like the idea of getting a 97cc motor and being able to reuse the current motor parts would be great. It would really be a good learning experience for me, plus it would give me a leg up if I decided to do the 6.5HP motor from HR swap. At first I thought the 6.5HP motors from HF were a direct swap, but the more I researched it the more I learned that wasn't the case. Other than the motor mount and the 3/4 12t clutch, what else would I need to get it to work?
Little bit more chain I believe.

I have a non running 97cc laying around. Let me see how much of a bitch it would be to pull the crank and if it's in good shape. If it's OK its yours for shipping. I won't have time till this weekend though.

WrenchDad

I just did a search on eBay, what's the length of the stock chain? Oh and does anybody have a good place to buy #35 roller links? All I'm seeing on eBay are master links. thanks

@jdogg, how well does that diy wood tensioner work?
JRMN Did you find what you need in links? If not I have extra #35 if you need a piece I'll send you out a chunk just let me know.

i just wanted to update you all on my doodle bug situation. Camjamsdad is sending me out his used crank shaft and pull starter. WrenchDad is sending me out some extra links and a spare master link. i don't know what to say, I'm really blown away by kindness that everyone's has showed me here. From the top notch advice and suggestions to the offering to send me out used part for free. Did I say FREE?!?!

I don't know the first thing about automotives, but I am really pumped and can't wait to get my hands dirty! I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

buckeye

I can assure you the stuff you get will be right too.
There are untold number of guys like you. Do many good people on this forum.
Look forward to you getting it going again.:thumbsup:

No problem. The old 97cc was replaced by a predator. It would have never been used, although after cracking it open it was in great shape and probably just needed a carb.

It's all about karma. I got help here and a few parts I needed so I'm paying it forward. If you get joy out of your project you'll end up seeing them multiply. It's fun driving around with the kids or just watching them tear around enjoying them.

old-timer

Scamming Member
No problem. The old 97cc was replaced by a predator. It would have never been used, although after cracking it open it was in great shape and probably just needed a carb.

It's all about karma. I got help here and a few parts I needed so I'm paying it forward. If you get joy out of your project you'll end up seeing them multiply. It's fun driving around with the kids or just watching them tear around enjoying them.

Can't agree more !! When I first joined everyone bent over backwards to help me, and still do to this day. This is not your typical club or forum, this is a true brotherhood here at OldMiniBikes :thumbsup: Paying it forward goes a long way around here.

Vic