Pulling without twisting throttle

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. I am really trying to figure out what's going on with this engine. It'll run, but not the way it's supposed to.

Oh and before I forget, how easily should the bike be able to move when it's off?

old-timer

Scamming Member
Well thats prob because the carb needs a good cleaning. By what you've told us, the clutch bushing sounds like it's dry and binding up. This would cause the bike not to roll easy or not at all. I've got a Manco out in the garage now that is bound right up tight from sitting outside. Take the clutch apart, clean it up good and oil the bushing. Make sure you oil ONLY the bushing and you should be good.

Vic

old-timer

Scamming Member
Yep ! that's just what you need to help you out. Keep us posted as to how you make out, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of people here who will be more than happy to help :thumbsup:

Ok guys, I have a issue, remember I told you all the chain tensioner was missing? Well I can't get the clutch off because the chain is so tight and if I was able to get it off I wouldn't be able to get it back on. Any suggestions?

Here is a photo:

old-timer

Scamming Member
That chain looks way tight and that is more than likely part of your problem. As bigrob said, loosen the 4 motor bolts and the motor should slide back enough to get the chain off. Also after seeing the pic, the chain doesn't look so hot either. I would suggest soaking it in light weight oil for a couple days once you get it off.

I've seen the chain tensioners for the DBs listed of e-bay from time to time. You really should have one. Someone here may even have one if you post in the parts section here on OldMiniBikes.

From all the reading that I have been doing, I believe the issue is with the clutch. I'm probably going to do the 6.5HP upgrade down the road. I really would like to learn with this motor, that way if I mess something up, it wouldn't be a big deal and I wouldn't be out any money. With that said, it looks like the motor is pushed back as far as it's going to go. Taking out the master link is probably my best option.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

The 97cc motor is a good way to learn how to trouble shoot. If I was you I would tinker with what you have.

pop the master link. Be careful not to loose the pieces. And be careful you dont stab yourself on the hand with the screw driver when trying to slide the clips off. Been there done that and it hurts :censure:

from the looks of it all I would probably order a new chain. Or at least order some 35 roller links and 2 master links and give yourself some adjusting room.

clean and service the clutch per everyones advice.

I am not familiar at all with the 97cc engine. Spray it out with some carb cleaner in the fuel inlet, and inside and all around. Might be enough to clean it out without tearing it completely apart.

a new spark plug may do wonders as well.

I just did a search on eBay, what's the length of the stock chain? Oh and does anybody have a good place to buy #35 roller links? All I'm seeing on eBay are master links. thanks

@jdogg, how well does that diy wood tensioner work?

Last edited:
I was hoping someone wouldn't say that. I really wanted to start off with this motor before I make that leap. The shaft is replaceable though right? I have a childhood friend who is a mechanic who I could probably talk into doing the work.