Puttering along

As the title states looking to putter along down the trails and bush roads so that is the main focus of my build. What I'm in need of is some assistance in determining final drive gearing to suit the need.

What I have so far is a 5 hp Briggs, wheels 4.10/3.50-6 and would prefer to use #41 chain for durability, I've attached a thumbnail pic showing the back wheel and am wondering if I can put a band brake on the opposite side of the rim and be foot operated, so if anyone can shed some light ie pics or setup info that'd be great.

So to keep it simple I'd like to go from a clutch or TAV straight to the back wheel and am looking for the recommended gear ratio for puttering along, top end really is of little concern. One concern is an oversize gear on the rear tire dragging in the mud and so on, that is why I'm seaking the minimum gearing I could get away with without undue stress on the clutch/TAV.

Thanks,

thumbnail.jpg

Or a band brake on the clutch, they work great also. plus with the brake on the clutch you wouldn't have to worry about the mud from the rear wheel getting on the brake drum causing the brake to slip.

Last edited:
Hey guys, Thanks for the input greatly appreciate it. For people like my self it's hard to judge what may or may not work and it's always nice not to have to spend a fortune to find out :thumbsup:

Stangrcr1, Thanks and by the way I've decided to take your earlier advice in regards to the steering neck and go with a simple bushing setup and I have in the back of my mind to make a simple springer suspension later on.

If going with a 54T sprocket as minibikin mentioned what would be the ideal sprocket to get on the TAV as that seems to be the popular vote for slow going and repeated stops and starts.

Going with the TAV leaves less options for brakes as far as the band goes anyway. I do have a disk caliper somewhere laying around and may try that on the rear sprocket, I just took a look at my MB165 and there is no oil anywhere on the sprocket after several years of use and regular maintenance so that is one option. I really don't want to add the drum onto the sprocket side because of the additional offset it will cause.

So has anyone used a band brake on the back rim and is there a center type hub a person can use to get the drum further out in the rim closer to the frame to attach a band brake to?

Thanks again guys, Cheers
Al

Here is a pic of the part I'm looking for to allow a disk or drum to be installed on the opposite side of the rear rim, hope this helps explain what I'm trying to do. If anyone knows where I can get just the center piece so I can bolt it to my existing rim that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

hub.jpg