Quick question?

So do the members here get upset if someone modifies a vintage mini? I have noticed that many here are really into collecting the vintage bikes which is totally cool I just haven't got into that part of it yet, for me it's more of get it running and ride it. I just don't want to offend everyone if I decide to stretch a frame or cut one up to make something that fits my needs better.

Thanks for reading!

So do the members here get upset if someone modifies a vintage mini? I have noticed that many here are really into collecting the vintage bikes which is totally cool I just haven't got into that part of it yet, for me it's more of get it running and ride it. I just don't want to offend everyone if I decide to stretch a frame or cut one up to make something that fits my needs better.

Thanks for reading!
It's your bike, do what you want with it. Some old bikes are more rare than others. If you were to whack up a Go-Kart Cycle or Flexo bike, you'd be racked on the pillory.

There are cult followers- aficionados in manufacturer-specific groups. It's Okay to slice of a Cat, but don't touch a Bonanza, etc.

So, yeah, do what you want. There are thousands of people here. You're bound to piss off at least or ten of them. :laugh: Welcome to the site!

fistfullabar

Your bike, do what ya want.

Have you seen what David Wulff does??:laugh:
Dave still maintains the "look" of the bikes he modds but some people will "massacre" :wink: the frames so much they should have just bent some tubes up too build from the ground up cause their is so little left of the "vintage bike" i try to make all my modds bolt on to be able to retain the O.G. style but if your putting a souped up engine on a bike that is/was designed for a 4 to 6 hp engine the frame needs beefing up:hammer::grind: remember safety 1st :scooter:

Not too much at the moment, I have an unidentified frame that I might want to stretch. I have no idea what kind of frame it is but I need to get my Manco running first before I tackle that project.

But I removed the original motor from the Manco and the original chainguard and brackets and removed the scrub brake. Is that something that is frowned upon?

Last edited:

oldfatguy

there are plenty of doodle bug and Azusa frames out there to cut up without destroying a 1970s vintage frame but in the end the choice is yours.

Not too much at the moment, I have an unidentified frame that I might want to stretch. I have no idea what kind of frame it is but I need to get my Manco running first before I tackle that project.

But I removed the original motor from the Manco and the original chainguard and brackets and removed the scrub brake. Is that something that is frowned upon?
Cut that pig up....it is just a Manco. it was so mass produced there are tons of those.

Cut that pig up....it is just a Manco. it was so mass produced there are tons of those.
Like Cheezy1 said Manco's are a dime a dozen :doah: And if this is you unidentified roller, its an ARCO/Alexander Reynolds and it is so f-ed up already I wouldn't worry about stretching it :thumbsup:

^^^ oh did the torch-cut engine plate give it away? LMAO
Thank you it was a freebie and I can make a new engine plate and fix the forks. I would love to run a really wide rear wheel and thinking about a live axle as well.

Here's an update on this bike.

I made some new forks, I originally bought brand new Azusa forks but the straight fork plates wouldn't jive with the head tube of the Arco. So I bought some fork plates from a dude on here and welded the Azusa fork tubes/bars inside the new triangular fork plates so I could actually steer the bike lol.
I have cut out the motor plate and removed every single bracket from the bike, except for the one up top between the top tubes.
The frame is stock I have not stretched it nor have I widened it.
I am looking for a shorter front tire for it.

Attachments

Back in the mid 70's Sixpac440 and I hacked a Bonanza BC1200 in half in his Jr high shop class, streched it a foot or so and added another engine plate..................:doah:...................I doubt you could do much worse than that!.............:wink:............Tom.

that looks much better :thumbsup: maybe for the fall :wink:
Thanks Tim, means a lot.

To any purist naysayers- I took a pile of crap that literally could not be given away, no one wanted it. I replaced the ridiculously f-ed up forks and cut brackets off the bike, and I am turning it into something useful. Sure it's not OEM specs but at least it didn't go to the crusher. I still have all the brackets that I cut off the bike, maybe someday someone can put it all back together after I'm done with it lol.

I don't feel the least bit bad about how I treated this frame.

Last edited: