quick Rupp wheel bearing ?

My 10" spoked Rupp wheels came without bearings or hardware. I got new bearings from Blackwidow that have a groove for a circlip [I think] but no clips came with the bearings. Can I just cut a spacer to go through the rim and keep the bearings from going inside the rim? and if I do use a spacer,can I [should I ] mount the bearing flush or leave them protruding a bit,say,up to the groove?

1-3/8 x 5/8 snap ring high speed standard minibike bearing, But Rupp used a 5/8 to 1/2 sleeve, To use a 1/2 axle on the 1970 bikes.

Last edited:
I think you are going to need the snap rings? it is possible for the wheel to move on the bearings even with a spacer between them. Do you have the old bearings? just take the rings off them.

I didn't have any old bearings.I cut a pvc spacer to span the internal gap between the bearings and put a large washer on each outside. The steel wheel spacers should keep any side to side motion out. right?:shrug:

Hi Rod burner, If I am not mistaken, The 70 model wheel uses a inner sleeve to keep the correct bearing spacing in the hub. Then the bearings use the clips to keep the bearings from moving in or out of the hub. So yes you will need to have those clips in place. If you dont and they move you will have chain alignment problems and wheels rubbing on the swing arm ect....When you bought those bearings, they should have come with those clips! I would call Jim Kise at blackwidow tell him they were missing and have him send them too you. On a second note I would try to find a steel spacer for the axle, your local hardware store should have them, (I have bought them at ACE in the past) and then cut it to the proper length. When you tighten the wheel the pvc might not hold up, and the bearing will move. Good luck, let us know how your progress is coming

They do,but without the clips in the grooves. But Jim at Blackwidow is sending me some. As far as the inner sleeve,I made some from metal,but went with the thick wall PVC for weight/corrosion prevention. Heck,we use it for fork spring preload spacers in the new Triumphs..