Radio Flyer Wagon - sort of

My brother has been sick for years, half a lung and as skinny as a rake. He stays with my folks and helps out where he can. He's got a real green finger and spends a lot of time in the garden. He can't really pick up anything heavy and can just get things out the car.

He asked if he could buy William's Radio Flyer type wagon - fat chance Will loves that thing:laugh:. So I said I'd build him a slightly bigger version that can hold a plasic crate he uses for shopping etc.

Nothing fancy just the frame so far - just posting so you guys don't think I'm goofing off:laugh:

Last edited:
Thats a great start tank. That should be strong enough to carry anything.

Now that you have started, you are going to have to put an engine on it.....:thumbsup:

buckeye

I could just go to the beach with a towel.
But, I am married. She has to have stuff. Whatever the hell that is.:laugh:

Dan, I'm curious how it is that you can bang this stuff out like it was made of plastic- the amount of welding and notching alone must have taken several hours. You have learned to be quite efficient, unless you have been sand bagging us??:shrug:

anyways, that looks like it would make a great cargo rack for a vehicle or one of those tailgate/hitch bed extensions for camping gear. (or buckey's wife's beach stuff):thumbsup:

Thanks lads, no sand bagging swear. Spent all week planning the build so dimensions and drawings all done. In training today, but I'll post a pic later of how I cheat with notching took less than 20 min

Was a tough call strength vs light weight, he wants to ba able to carry bags of manure +- 60kg he recons he'll roll it out the bakkie then pull to the flowerr beds then scoop by scoop use.

The bonus is if it does'nt work William and I can use it:lol:

Time will tell.

As promised pics of my cheat with notching, I made a jig for my mill then cut the 10 uprights, set up the cutter and presto, good speed good power and quick cuts.

This afternoon, I picked up two hinge to use for the steering wheels and made up the front axil - pics tomorrow :thumbsup:

matt2

Happy birthday TANKSAREUS
Your big red wagon looks good. Don't forget to take time for you today. By the way you are one of the young bucks on here at 39 years young today. Anyway have a good birthday, Matt :grind:

Thanks Guys, was a great day, the party is this weekend.

My training finished an hour early so I popped down into town and bought to heavy duty gate hinges for the front steering - today is a half day so hopefully finished by tonight

The finish up was not too bad, bent up some 8mm bar for tie rods, just going to use split pins to hold them in place, was easy enough to set the length, made the rods the welded on the brackets to match there length.

Just need to paint, was thinking rattle can primer and rattle can red

toomanytoys

Needs a motor :laugh: Since he has health problems, and can't carry, maybe you could put a small motor on it, gear it down to run at walking speed full out. Then put a throttle on the handle and he could have a powered pulling cart.