Reasonable paint gun suggestions

125ccCrazy

I've used the cheap guns from HF and ebay..I've used them to spray everything from primer, single stage, basecoat, clear coat and have had great results.... I've used them for the minibikes, full size bikes, car parts ect.... they spray great but don't hold up as long as a top dollar gun when it comes to taking them apart and reassembling repeated times... all the stuff below was painted with this exact style gun.. New Mini HVLP Air Spray Gun Auto Car Detail Touch Up Paint Sprayer Spot Repair | eBay
there is a few vid on youtube about the horrible fright guns . there not top of the line but they seem to lay paint down . and given your not doing much painting a cheap gun maybe better .
I have a few of those and they work great for what they are...next time HF has them on sale I'm grabbing a few more just to keep around..

Last edited:

buckeye

I saw those on ebay and was wondering about them. Seems to be just about right.
If my compressor has a pressure adjustment do I still need a regulator on the gun?
I know I need some type of moisture trap.
Thanks, I was hoping to get good advice and as usual OldMiniBikes comes through.
125cc, that stuff looks great. If I can get half that outcome I will be happy.

HVLP at Harbor Freight, good for back yard painting, Gokarts, Mini's etc. Get one they are cheap, try your hand at before you spend big $$$$ on a brand name.

I get great results from the HF guns. Prep and location where item is to be painted plays ALOT on finished product. Clean, dry, controlled air movement, thru the gun and in the environment where it is to be painted.

With the HVLP guns you don't need a Gonzo Mega air compressor.

I saw those on ebay and was wondering about them. Seems to be just about right.
If my compressor has a pressure adjustment do I still need a regulator on the gun?
I know I need some type of moisture trap.
Thanks, I was hoping to get good advice and as usual OldMiniBikes comes through.
125cc, that stuff looks great. If I can get half that outcome I will be happy.
I always have my regulator on the compressor turned up and run a screw on regulator and a plastic throw away water trap screwed to it. Most all gravity feed guns have an air adjustment on the gun themselves but bottom feeders(siphon) guns don't. When using a bottom feed gun while painting you might need to turn the pressure down or up while painting and you don't want to keep running to your compressor adjusting the air, you want to be able to adjust at the gun itself.
When I use my regulator/water trap on a gravity gun, I turn the air on it all the way up and just use the regulator that's built in on the gun to make adjustments as I paint.
So to answer your question, gravity gun, turn air up at compressor and use the built in regulator to adjust air and bottom feed gun, turn air up at compressor and use a screw on regulator with a gauge on the gun. :shrug:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-REGULAT..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ae5b30584&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-DISPOSABL..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ae58b5347&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I personally like using the screw on reg with gauge and water trap on a gravity gun. I turn the air adj. all the way up on the gun and still control the air with the screw on adjuster with a gauge. Just using the air adjuster on the gun, you can't tell the pressure because the gun doesn't have a gauge. When you turn the air all the way up on the gun your screw on air gauge with pressure gauge still works.:thumbsup:

the cheapest way for you to get started is at harbor freight .The guns are relatively inexpensive and you'll get just as good a job as any.At 10 bucks you can even trash the touch up gun after a year or so!I use one nearly every week at home and use it for all my toy's paint jobs.

buckeye

Since I am a rookie and don't have tons to spend, I am leaning towards the HF.Unless a better suggestion comes along within reason. Don't want to spend hundreds to paint my junk.

The reason I went with the vfan was that is will shoot up to a 3" fan and would not require much volume. It is not a $10 gun but I will get my money's worth out of it. That is if it works as billed.

125ccCrazy

about 20 years ago I started painting my Dad's full size Chevy van, first coat of paint and the devillbis I had took a crap... it's saturday night and no paint stores open to buy a new gun so I ran up to Big Lots and bought a siphon feed chicago spray gun, did a tri color paint job with it.... for years he had compliments everywhere he took the van..... then about 10 years ago I buy a new devillbis hvlp gravity to paint my son's Grand Prix .. worse gun I ever used... it wouldn't lay down a pattern for nothing.... I ended up using it for primer after that and went back to the cheap HF guns and have had nothing but good results..... reminds me of an old Billy Joel song..It's still Rock and Roll to me. " Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of speakers" Now that you have the song in your head the rest of the day LOL.... back to the topic...

I agree with Ed, I use a regulator at the gun with a screw on throw away moisture trap...

about 20 years ago I started painting my Dad's full size Chevy van, first coat of paint and the devillbis I had took a crap... it's saturday night and no paint stores open to buy a new gun so I ran up to Big Lots and bought a siphon feed chicago spray gun, did a tri color paint job with it.... for years he had compliments everywhere he took the van..... then about 10 years ago I buy a new devillbis hvlp gravity to paint my son's Grand Prix .. worse gun I ever used... it wouldn't lay down a pattern for nothing.... I ended up using it for primer after that and went back to the cheap HF guns and have had nothing but good results..... reminds me of an old Billy Joel song..It's still Rock and Roll to me. " Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of speakers" Now that you have the song in your head the rest of the day LOL.... back to the topic...

I agree with Ed, I use a regulator at the gun with a screw on throw away moisture trap...
It's still rock and roll to me-Billy Joel(subtitulado esp) - YouTube
well at least i dont have to dig out the old record player and dust off the vinyl :facepalm::innocent:

buckeye

So maybe I need to make this into a poll question.
Now, I am getting the feeling Harber Freight. But then again, Home Depot.
Didn't really grasp there so many choices. Daah me.