required shaft length for fitting a centrifugal clutch?

125ccCrazy

so how much key way length is typically required?
generally the key way is cut from the end of the crank to the step on the crank so the clutch can be used inboard or outboard... What engine do you have? what clutch? what length is the crank on the engine?... if your running the clutch outboard the key way will need to be full length on the crank since most clutches have the key on the opposite end the gear is on...if you run it inboard the key way will only need to be long enough to capture the whole key on the clutch... Like Capgun mentioned above the crank should be as long as the clutch is wide for maximum support but some clutches like a Comet tav are wider than the crank so a support bushing should be used on the end along with the bolt screwed into the end of the crank...

generally the key way is cut from the end of the crank to the step on the crank so the clutch can be used inboard or outboard... What engine do you have? what clutch? what length is the crank on the engine?... if your running the clutch outboard the key way will need to be full length on the crank since most clutches have the key on the opposite end the gear is on...if you run it inboard the key way will only need to be long enough to capture the whole key on the clutch... Like Capgun mentioned above the crank should be as long as the clutch is wide for maximum support but some clutches like a Comet tav are wider than the crank so a support bushing should be used on the end along with the bolt screwed into the end of the crank...
thank you 125cccrazy

so here is the deal.

i recently purchased 3 new in box 6hp B&S vanguard engines for $140 total. each engine has a 5/8" shaft, the last inch of the shaft is threaded. so i plan on machining the key way into all 3 shafts (i have a jig and dremel).

so i was wondering about what length of key way is required for my clutches.

Some clutches have built in keys and they're about 3/4" long. I would think that's all you really need
excellent!

i will grind down the cut-off Wheel so i can grind the key way as far as possible along the shafts, should be able to grind approximately 3/4 of the length of shafts, more or less.

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

thank you 125cccrazy

so here is the deal.

i recently purchased 3 new in box 6hp B&S vanguard engines for $140 total. each engine has a 5/8" shaft, the last inch of the shaft is threaded. so i plan on machining the key way into all 3 shafts (i have a jig and dremel).

so i was wondering about what length of key way is required for my clutches.
what clutches do you have and are you running the gear inboard or outboard?

thats a good deal on 3 new engines...

what clutches do you have and are you running the gear inboard or outboard?

thats a good deal on 3 new engines...
actually, i meant to say i will be purchasing a new clutch for one of the vanguards at a later date. inboard or outboard has yet to be determined. this mini bike thing is all new exciting territory to me ... but i do have some skills like welding and basic mechanics to help me build my own design mini bike.

yes, i could not walk away from the deal i got on those engines, 5/8" threaded shaft and all, got them all at a auction.