Restore it or leave it original?

I bought this bike and it has 1350 original miles on it---it is a 74 so not sure what I want to do---it is in very good condition--a few nicks and scrapes here and there but overall, pretty good. I have all the parts that go to it as well, have the back light, blinkers, headlight, everything that is needed and that is all in good shape as well. The tank doesn't even have a nick or dent it either!!

SO---do I leave it alone or take it apart and restore it?

you know, maybe it is due to the fact that I just finished doing a bike and it looks like brand new while this one doesn't. I don't know, isn't it worth more and look nicer for shows if it is restored? I know some people that say that original is worth more because it will never be that way again. That is why I posed the question I guess.

I would leave it just like it is. I could see redoing it if it really needed it. But to me your bike doesnt need it. Original bikes are getting harder to find in that kind of shape. :thumbsup: Looks good.

I'd just make sure all the mechanicals and electrics are working, maybe touch up the chips with touch up paint and polish any aluminum parts that were originally polished, but for the most part, I'd leave it alone. Looks great as it sits.

oldsledz

you know, maybe it is due to the fact that I just finished doing a bike and it looks like brand new while this one doesn't. I don't know, isn't it worth more and look nicer for shows if it is restored? I know some people that say that original is worth more because it will never be that way again. That is why I posed the question I guess.
The value probably wouldn't go up enough to cover the cost to restore it, if it went up at all.

I would just give it a good clean up ride it some, take it to some shows if you want.

I take my bikes and sleds to shows but keep them the way I want them.

pomfish

Leave it as is and DO NOT touch up the chips, it will not match 100% and will only draw the eye to that imperfection.

This bike was ridden and well cared for, let it be a time capsule.
Awesome find!
Later,
Keith

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who responded---leaving it alone was my first inclination---but I may just clean it up really good--which may require taking it apart. I have cleaned them before but does anyone have a good way to clean the rims on a bike---especially getting in between the spokes near the rim part itself? That part is a bugger.

Regardless of "value" which is 100% subjective anyway.... Original survivors sure don't grow on trees and you got yourself a nice one! I'd leave it alone for sure!