RTS Hydraulic Brake Caliper Source

wjustice

I would use the 20 series on a full size RTS. MCP/Enginetics are about the same price. I don't know who make these or if parts are available. I can't seen to open BMI karts site or i would post a link.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Why not get a used motor cycle brake?
A motorcycle caliper would work fine I'm sure. However, you would have to cut the old caliper mounting bracket off, fabricate and weld on a new one. Where as the above listed 20 series caliper bolts up to the factory mount.

If you have a welder, a proper place and tools to do the fabrication, it would be a better alternative over the stock style set up and probably cheaper. But if not, than the cost would probably be just as much as the stock style caliper, if not, cost more with fab / welding labor plus material costs.

At least that's how I see it.

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

Um, I'm not sure they bolt right up to the stock mount. Maybe someone else can clarify. Rt21 sells them to use on the RTS, but they're not a straight swap. I used new MCP units but that's just me. A caliper from a motorcycle or even a scooter may be plenty and cheaper. My guess is that you'll need fab work either way. I just realized that I used 600512 because it is single inlet. The 600512 is the 1375 model. On my RTS I have 1375s which is a self adjusting model.

125ccCrazy

I'm putting Kawasaki calipers on mine, I'll have to make a flat plate to bolt to the frame mount and use 2 spacers between each caliper and the new plate.. I also bout some 1/8npt x 10mm adapters so I can screw compression fittings in calipers for the brake lines...The 10mm thread isn't quite the right pitch for the caliper so I coated it with red locktite and screwed in down tight and with the sealing washer it should be fine..

s-l1600.jpg

Um, I'm not sure they bolt right up to the stock mount. Maybe someone else can clarify. Rt21 sells them to use on the RTS, but they're not a straight swap. I used new MCP units but that's just me. A caliper from a motorcycle or even a scooter may be plenty and cheaper. My guess is that you'll need fab work either way. I just realized that I used 600512 because it is single inlet. The 600512 is the 1375 model. On my RTS I have 1375s which is a self adjusting model.

Thanks for the heads up on the caliper mounting. I was told RT21 Trading Co. that they were a direct bolt on. I'm still learning about these trikes and you guy's have definitely been a huge help. :thumbsup:

Shawn

I'm putting Kawasaki calipers on mine, I'll have to make a flat plate to bolt to the frame mount and use 2 spacers between each caliper and the new plate.. I also bout some 1/8npt x 10mm adapters so I can screw compression fittings in calipers for the brake lines...The 10mm thread isn't quite the right pitch for the caliper so I coated it with red locktite and screwed in down tight and with the sealing washer it should be fine..

View attachment 85452
Thanks for the reply 125ccCrazy. :thumbsup:
Can you post pics of the caliper installation as you go? Since the above calipers aren't a direct bolt on, I may go the motorcycle caliper rout and look into renting a small MIG or TIG machine to do the welding if my O.E.M. set up doesn't work like I want it to.

Shawn

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Shawn,

with the set up I'm going with you won't need to do any welding, just a flat plate and two spacers for each caliper, you will need a cut off wheel and drill but that should be it....I'll take some pics when I get working on them..

Another vote for MCP brake calipers, they are kinda big and square but boy do they stop really good. Also I am not scared to run 2 brake lines, no single inlet needed. Just my .02

wjustice

I used single so I wouldn't have to run 4 lines. My setup is dual masters and turning brakes. I have dual inlets on the RTS, you just have to tie them together. I have a t fitting on one side and a stub between the half's.

wjustice

So to clear this up a bit. How about someone posts a nice close up pic of the factory RTS brake mounting setup? Anybody?

RTS Brakes

I hope this shows he stock mountings for the old Borg Warner calipers. I had big problems with the old system but the new dual piston calipers were much better and safer. Of course my RTS did have some changes like it hat larger 10 inch wheels and 10 inch diameter brake disc. and least of all a heavy driver so all the combined factors were possible reasons the old system did not work for me.

Steve :scooter:

Last edited:

I hope this shows he stock mountings for the old Borg Warner calipers. I had big problems with the old system but the new dual piston calipers were much better and safer. Of course my RTS did have some changes like it hat larger 10 inch wheels and 10 inch diameter brake disc. and least of all a heavy driver so all the combined factors were possible reasons the old system did not work for me.

Steve :scooter:
Thanks for the pics Steve. :thumbsup:
How did you mount the calipers to the old mounting brackets?

Shawn

20150103_181543.jpg 20150101_201354.jpg 20150101_201412.jpg

Bracket made for the Wilwood calipers. We welded this bracket onto the frame. Note, these are dual piston calipers, so they do not need to float. Major advantage of the dual piston caliper is equal pressure on both sides when the brakes are applied. This also allows for easier brake install as the caliper does not have to 'float'. Willwood brakes are designed and made in the USA. With the ones I used, through trial and error and talking with the guys at willwood, I had to put on a 10Lbs residual valve in between the wilwood master cylinder and the rear brakes, as the calipers would expand too much after release. I can say after many years of messing with bad brakes, these are a God Send. The Willwood master cylinder also has a parking brake, so its just wonderful!! These brakes work great!! I can lock them up at 50MPH if desired!

Last edited:

wjustice

The parking brake sounds great, I didn't know they made them like that. When I did my brakes, i used enginetics parts. Their 1375s caliper is self-adjusting like on a car. So no residual valve is necessary.