Rupp 2 Speed clutches exact copys

Oops.... This was sposed to be a Neck quote answer :laugh:

It doesn't (WHEN you're going slow) ... When first gear is pulled against, it locks, like they said... THEN you take off in first, building speed, until the JACKSHAFT gets up to speed, in which case the CLUTCH on the jack shaft tightens up.. THEN you're engine is driving the drum, but the clutch guts inside are to running speed, so it is tight.. so the power goes from the engine to the drum, to the guts, to the jackshaft.. And you are in second gear.. With first spinning away a zillion miles per hour... Second will chatter until it hooks up... And every time it TRYS to catch, it takes presure off from first, then lets go again because it can't just INSTANTLY go from 7 to 30 miles per hour... SO first catches again....

So on and so forth for a few seconds until she finally HOOKS and actually goes.. I found it actually works a LOT LOT smoother if you lube the shoes in second gear clutch to PROMOTE slipping, until it makes a final lock..

The two speeds are rough as hell on them selves.. Thats why %99 of them ever installed, are welded one speed, and the chain guard is long since lost.. :laugh:

Last edited:
Great thread here,
Basically,
With the secondary clutch offered in the repo 2 speed set-up... Imagine the secondary jackshaft clutch acting like the clutch on a std. single sprocket engine driven direct drive clutch. The engine shaft has to aquire a certain RPM to engage.( idle to takeoff) Same principle applys to the 2 speed. The first gear gets the jackshaft to an appropriate RPM ( Jackshaft= engine crankshaft)to engage the secondary clutch just like a clutch mounted directly to the motor shaft. RPM/will determine when the clutch engages/disengages. Lil Indains and Rupps used this technology. And had less parts to maintain.
Nice work on this set up from my perspective.
Regards to all

The H70 Rods are now available! They turned out awesome. I wanted to ride my 1969 Roadster around for a while just to make sure all of the tolerances were good. It is a feels real good holding the throttle wide open and not worrying about the rod going through the block!

With the new clutch technology, it makes these clutches shift real nice, especially into 2nd gear!

Personally, I think it does not get better then a 2-speed with a H70 on a 1969 Roadster!

Neck

Growing up is optional
Great thread here,
Basically,
With the secondary clutch offered in the repo 2 speed set-up... Imagine the secondary jackshaft clutch acting like the clutch on a std. single sprocket engine driven direct drive clutch. The engine shaft has to aquire a certain RPM to engage.( idle to takeoff) Same principle applys to the 2 speed. The first gear gets the jackshaft to an appropriate RPM ( Jackshaft= engine crankshaft)to engage the secondary clutch just like a clutch mounted directly to the motor shaft. RPM/will determine when the clutch engages/disengages. Lil Indains and Rupps used this technology. And had less parts to maintain.
Nice work on this set up from my perspective.
Regards to all
OK.....First gets the jackshaft to the appropriate engagement speed for the secondary clutch to engage the drum, Looking at the picture, I see the secondary drum is coupled to the engine, not the jackshaft, how does it drive the jackshaft at a higher rpm?

Neck

Growing up is optional
I believe this is a comet 2 speed for a rupp, and this is why I don't understand what I'm seeing in the new setup.

The engine clutch gets the secondary friction up to speed to engage the drum, and the drum drives the jackshaft through or should I say away from, the sprag clutch.

Last edited:
When the secondary clutch kicks in, the primary clutch 1st gear free wheels. The secondary clutch kicks in at 1800 RPM (that is jackshaft speed, not engine speed)

In my bias opinion, the Rupp set up is a nicer unit and simpler. It incorporates a one-way bearing inside of the 21 tooth sprocket with a key to hold it in place.

Why is the 2 speed in my Rupp a factory Comet, and has like felt clutch shoes in second? :confused: Never seen another one like it.. Felt on swing out arms with springs .. Kinda like spark advance in a 69 Dodge...

I do believe that is an original secondary clutch. I cannot recall the material they used but it sounds correct. I suspect the clutch is pinned to the jackshaft. I had some of them a few years back and got rid of them. Dummy me.
Regards

If we knew the price, there may be more interest!

But then again if you knew the price....... lol Then again don't the rich say if you have to ask the price you cannot afford it.... lol so how much are they anyway ????

Last edited:
I do believe that is an original secondary clutch. I cannot recall the material they used but it sounds correct. I suspect the clutch is pinned to the jackshaft. I had some of them a few years back and got rid of them. Dummy me.
Regards
Yeah, I think most of the early stuff was all roll pins. I still have the jack shaft and parts, but the 2 speed is junked.. The original driver is nice though..

Do not quote me, but I am going to try to keep the price around $250. I am still waiting for the dust to settle on the material costs. Considering the set up is complete (minus the two outside bearing and chains) and it comes with the two clutches, vintage decals and all parts are cadmium plated.
There people selling just one of the clutches for $125!
The 2nd speed clutch is not available; I have an exclusive arrangement with Max Torque. It took about 6 months of playing around with the clutch to get the configuration and the shift point just right

I'll buy one at $250 (Includes shipping:wink:) so long as I know you will stand behind your product. I.E. if I install one and my bike goes backward I would expect you to give me a set of reverse forks and handle bars.:shrug: