Rupp chain falling off

I just put a #35 chain on this 70 Rupp sprint today. I got it nice and tight but as soon as I sit on the bike and compress the shocks it get saggy and falls off right away :confused: Whats the deal? I didnt think these bikes had spring loaded tentioners did they?

Also, does this like like the correct brake setup? I bought a Rupp hub and it dont fit....

HELP!?!

Last edited:
i dont see why the chain would come off unless the sprockets were not in line. The shocks are wrong and are not connected in the right place. Also these sprints didnt use a jackshaft, the chain went from the engine to the rear wheel.

i dont see why the chain would come off unless the sprockets were not in line. The shocks are wrong and are not connected in the right place. Also these sprints didnt use a jackshaft, the chain went from the engine to the rear wheel.

The sprocket seems to line up perfectly. This bike was make to use a jackshaft with a rupp asemetrical clutch, you are wrong about that. I have the correct shocks and clutch, I just dont want to put them on until I am going to restore the the bike. I just want to play with it for now.

Smallbikes88 is correct. The Rupp Sprint did NOT use a jackshaft. They had chrome plated caps that snapped into the jackshaft holes. Even the breakdown manual shows this.

Boo Yaa! I knew it, these bikes had the jackshaft holes but didnt use a jackshaft from the factory. Thanks ruppster, great bike!!! Also there is a chain tensioner to take up slack when the shocks move. You need one. I really like these and had a chance to buy one but it was too far away from me.

Last edited:
wow, I stand corrected! In what model was this frame use with a jack? In any case, does anyone have any picks of Rupp tenioners? I have done some searches and have yet to see anyone selling them (or pics)s. I thing I will install the correct shocks to see if that help too.

this is a pic of a sprint being restored on ruppbikes.com and i think it is paul's the guy who runs the site. He is a cool guy i met at windber and he's got some nice bikes. there is a video of this bike done and hes riding it around.

Last edited:
I think Rupp had some left over parts from the earlier models. 1970 was the first year for that style of frame. It was the same frame through out the line up Roadster down to the Sprint model. 1971 they redesinged it the motor pan was different and the frame size and angle is a little different. Sprint was a bare bones model. And it would not of came with a T/C but it could be added if you wanted to.

I have learned a lot today, thank you all! I already have the TC-1 so I am going to build a hybrid I guess. The clutch make a nice diff in the ride. I didnt realize that this was the same frame and the Scrambler I used to have. I got this bike for a song and bougt most of the parts (including a diff engine) to redo the bike one day... for now, I just ant to ride it with the kids :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Factory Build Sheet

Here is a breakdown of the bike. I have all the part numbers if you need help. The chain tensioner was on all 1970 Sprints. It took me nine months or better to find a chain tensioner for my Sprint and the brake drum both are nos still in the blister packs but the price was not cheap!

Last edited:
I put a breakdown of the tc1 for a reference. The photos are from rupparts.com. The bike photo doubled on me. If you need any help let me know.

Thats what this hobby is all about is building and customizing then to your own taste. Your not changing anything that could not be put back to original if you want to sell it someday and get top dollar for it as a original rupp. Just don,t cut up the bike or weld anything funny looking onto it. The Sprints are a neat bikes there were replaced in 71 by the Bandit which had the 10 inch mag style wheels that Rupp used on the Scrambler and Hustler with the rear tube style shocks with a rigid front fork and no T/C. they are kind of rare you don,t see a lot of them like you do the 12 inched wheel bikes from 1971 and up.