Rupp Dart - Jack shaft????

Looking at my Rupp Dart and trying to figure out what all i would need to redo it myself, I measured the jackshaft mounting area and it is 8" outside of bearing to outside of bearing, would i just buy the jack shaft mounting kit and use all the parts there EXCEPT for the weld on tabs for the bearings? I think the shortest jack shaft offered is the 10", does anybody have any pictures of how it all goes together (Sorry, I'm a newbie).

I will need new tires, tubes, headset bearings, I'm sure brakes, axles and bearings, chain, brake lever and cable, throttle/grips and cable, the jack shaft and I am sure a ton more once i get it all sandblasted.

I have a 3HP briggs (I think it's a 3HP may be a 5HP, not sure as it is buried in my storage building) and a 5.5HP Kawasaki motor in the building that couls go on it, just haven't decided yet what I wanna do.

For now I'm just trying to figure out how much i am going to have wrapped up in it for now and figure out how it all goes together.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Ben

Ben
What ever you do decide to do with your Dart please be sure to KEEP any original part that you change..
With that said for you to breath new life back into her wouldn't take much a few hundred dollars tops providing you have a working motor..
The biggest expense will be your time to do the work..
:thumbsup:

I will keep it as original as possible, The only thing i might do different would be the color i decide to paint it. That and trying to find a factory gas tank or a similar gas tank my be an issue. I know the brake adjuster looks to be pretty solidly rusted to the bracket that it screws into the frame and the factory axels look like they might be REALLY fun to get the nuts loose on them.

All in all, I don't plan on half assing it, if i can't afford to do it right it will take how ever long it takes and it WILL be right. That's just my nature, I had my AMC Gremlin for 11 years and it was all coming together and becoming exactly how i wanted it to be when I sold it, only reason i sold it was because with a family a two seated, loud, hot, race car wasn't very family friendly and it seen more garage time then it ever seen road time. I was paying insurance on it year round to drive it 2-3 times a summer.

So that's where the mini bike comes into play, something to fill the void where my car used to be.

Last edited:
Hi Ben, You made a good choice to keep it. If you need parts they are out there just have to hunt them down and do a little home work. If you can't find sometime let me know. Start a project log. The gas tank can be found but it will cost a little coin for a good one.

Bump.....bump, bump! That's the sound of the 15's when they hittin in my trunk!
Saying Bump......bump, bump! ~KMK~

So about that jack shaft.......?

Here is the exploded view of the Dart Cycle. It is showing it having a 12t clutch on engine, and 12t sprocket on one side of the jackshaft, and a 15t sprocket on the other side of jackshaft. Does the Dart Cylce still have it's rear wheel sprocket? You will have to buy a jackshaft and cut it down to your size. The clutch, jackshaft, bearings with clips, and sprockets can be bought in the OldMiniBikes. Kenny can make you a seat. Find yourself a Tecumseh motor in the HS-series with a 3/4 inch shaft. Get everything bead blasted and start painting it and assembling it. If you need anymore help just ask someone will help you out I'm sure it.

Last edited:
I'm new to this, I wasn't sure if more jack shaft should stick out past the bearings on each side, if so how much should stick out to be safe? Thanks all for all your help.
Where's the best place to start looking for a Tec motor at? How many horse should it be? Any body got one that they wanna sell or trade?:shrug:

Just cut the jackshaft even with the outside of the bearings. You should check the Rinks Flea Market I think that is what it is called by you for engines. I hit it every time I'm down there visiting. I need to make a trip down soon. Maybe I'll meet up with you sometime. If you have anymore questions just ask. You can PM me also.

Jmbmini,
Thanks for the exploded view and the parts list!!!

I go up to Rinks just about every weekend, that is one of my favorite places for cool old stuff! I just bought this up there last weekend!!!!

It'a a 1940's Coca~Cola cooler, it is 17" Wide x 12" Deep x 17" High (Odd size, not like the normal short ones), I have been looking and wanting one of these for YEAR!!!! Usually they are all rotted out but this one was in excellent shape with normal patina, used but not abused. I was really stoked to run across it.

Your welcome, I have found some cool old items there also along with my family. I will be making a trip down as soon as this heat wave passes us in the next couple weekends.

Kind of a stupid question to some maybe, but is there not a company that offers custom length jackshafts? Seems I use to have a site bookmarked that offered that.