Rupp guys need some help on TT-500

I bought this butcherd up Rupp a week ago and Im interested in really taking this thing back to original or at least close . Its not going to happen over night because this motor supposedly ran and had good spark . well , it doesnt run and it doesnt have spark and I think the base gasket is shot so its going to need some other love first . I need help figuring out what bearings I need along with jack shaft length and specific gearing . Im in the process of having a new jack shaft bearing mount made but I have to cut the rest of the BS off this thing first . Also need a rear caliper and would like to know how or what it hooks up to along with a fuel tank . I have a small plastic tank I can use to get it up and running .

Last edited:
Hey they sell the swingarm/jackshaft plate on ebay. Pricy but for that bike worth it. You need to remove those pillowblock bearings and grind all that crap off down to the frame tube and using the current swingarm plate weld the new ones over it . Here is a link if it works.
Rupp Minibike 12951B Jackshaft Swing Arm Bracket 1968 69 Repro Welds onto Frame | eBay
Perfect , I only need one and it is going to cost me $30 to have it made at a local machine shop so that works out great . Thank you very much
Its going to need some other holes drilled in the frame welded up and ground off so grinding is no big deal

Surprising how much effort people go through to cob something together like that thing instead of just spending a few $$$ and getting the correct parts.

BTW, I took some photos off of my daily rider. I will post in a little bit.

Here are some shots. Jim at Black Widow Motorsports has almost everything you would need, except tanks. :wink: He has helped me out a great deal on the one I've restored.

And restoration quality seats...I am still waiting on mine.

Here are some shots. Jim at Black Widow Motorsports has almost everything you would need, except tanks. :wink: He has helped me out a great deal on the one I've restored.

And restoration quality seats...I am still waiting on mine.
What is that on the jack shaft on the pic on the right ? I assume a clutch ? So these were direct drive at the crank shaft ? Sorry for all the questions , This rupp is a different monster especially all butchered up like it is

Last edited:
Yes, it is the 2nd speed of your 2 speed setup. You have a 2 speed drive clutch located on the engine itself. It is coupled to the jackshaft with 2 different chains: one to a 21 tooth 1-way sprocket, the other to the clutch shown in the picture. I can take a photo of the engine side with the cover removed so you can see the complete setup if you like. TT500's had a larger jackshaft with the ends turned down to fit inside the bearings.

Here are a few photos of the 2 speed setup. I took one shot from the front and one from the top. Excuse the poor touch-up paint job on the "driven" cutch. :smile:

Here are a few photos of the 2 speed setup. I took one shot from the front and one from the top. Excuse the poor touch-up paint job on the "driven" cutch. :smile:
Wow I did not know this was a 2 speed setup . Whats the chance im going to be able to find all this stuff to take it back to original. I know the bearings and shaft are available . But what about everything else ?

Personally, I don't think I would return it all the way back to original The new MaxTorque clutches work better than the original versions, and would be a lot cheaper to replace. Jim at Black Widow has all of it available. You could even go with the Comet driven clutch/jackshaft assembly if you want. You have options. The only thing that will be crazy is if you decide to get a metal clutch cover. Expect to spend $400+ just for that. I love the 2 speed "feel" and wouldn't give it up. It gives you both the low end torque and the high end speed.

I pulled the motor and took off the blocks . When I turn the crank by hand I can hear what sounds like air leaking around the middle of the engine . Anyway I pulled the head and carb and I'm not sure it's going to be worth putting the money in this engine . Engine had water in the oil . It did have a adjustable bowl on the carb