Rupp Headlight with a built in Speedo?

They are real..local guy sold tons of them for under 100 bucks up until last year on Ebay. So that guy bumped his damn head for 450 starting bid.

markus

not sure about them actually being Rupp parts, they came stock on Mopeds starting in the late 80's

Last edited:
Funny, I just bought one of those housings on Ebay this morning and now I have stumbled across this thread (searching here because of my purchase).

At the time of the auction I didn't put two and two together but the seller is Frank at Old School Mini Bike (Old School Mini Bike) so he might have more.

His housing (listed as NOS) was a little more than I wanted to spend ($90 with shipping), but since I plan on driving my Rupp on the street it might be nice to get a speedometer down the road, even if it's not accurate it might keep the Fuzz off my back.

Paul

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg

Last edited:
The shape and internals of the bucket indicate it's a modified replica of the Rupp headlight. The speedo in the one on Ebay though is a mid-1980s model, so that's why I asked
Yeah they are some kind of copy and they are cool. I've seen others use them and I've had one before too. I don't know how they came about but there is a lot of them out there. Maybe like Markus said " it was used on a moped". But I do believe it was a direct copy mod of the rupp headlight. I'm just not exactly sure where they came from. Rt21trading sells them.

Last edited:
Interesting..learn something new everyday. I always had my doubts due to never seeing them in a Rupp brochure...but I made the mistake of taking someones word for it. And now that Marcus mentioned it...I have seen those on mopeds before..or at least real close.

markus

Columbia were the first to use them, around 1978 from what I have seen (so they have somewhat of a mini bike connection :wink:). Columbia sold the rights to KKM sometime mid 80's and I think they were still offering Mopeds into the 90's. They were a US made moped but the engines were Sach's mainly I think. Usually only see them in black though on the mopeds, The all chrome was probably something in the 80/90's that didnt sell or maybe from when KKM went under. I used to look for them all the time to resell for the Rupp application, but they don't pop up too much.

Looks like the Columbia mopeds had a black bucket with a chrome bezel. So all these rupp chrome bezels on eBay may be from a moped.

Even if these are not Rupp originals they are still pretty sweet, someone had a good idea...sure beats a little bracket sticking out.

And kudos to the person who thought to chrome some and further along the factory stock illusion.

Paul

Ok..I bought one just for chuckles and a morbid curiosity. When it gets here I will toss a NOS speedo in it and light and junk and post the results if any one wants to see it.