Rupp hustler shocks

Rear Rupp hustler shocks

Do the Rupp hustler shocks come apart? The springs are rusty and I would like to take them down to repaint...thanks

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Front or rear?

The rears are Sebac (I think) and they do come apart. I'm not sure about the fronts.

I've had some that were stuck before -- not on Rupp, but on other bikes. Try heating them up with a torch. That has yet to fail me

markus

yes, well they are supposed to :laugh: Look under the bottom spring cup and you will see that there are slots for a sort of spanner wrench to grab, It is a plastic piece (what holds and stops the inner shaft). In a perfect world it unscrews from the bottom section. If you cant get a good grab on it take a caulking gun and use it to depress the spring.

If it s a really rusty crusty shock you may want to check if Blackwidow still has the repro plastic sections in case they break or get torn up before you start messing with them :wink:

here is the "bushing" that unscrews from the lower:

Last edited:
The original piece that has the spanner wrench slots under the bottom cup is actually aluminum and the tube is steel. That's why they're so hard to get apart sometimes because of dissimilar metals. I had to depress mine with a caulking gun like Marcus said and soak the tube and the spanner piece in muriatic acid overnight to disintegrate the aluminum spanner piece. I ordered the replacement ones (which are plastic) from blackwidow motorsports.