Rupp Sprint mini bike with torque converter

A few years ago I went to the dump and in the metal pile was an old mini bike frame and wheels. I latter figured out it was a 1970 Rupp Sprint. I put a motor and clutch on it and had a little fun. I couldn't help but think how easy it would be to throw a torque converter on it like the bigger Roadster's, Black Widow's and Scramblers. I only would do so as this Sprint was missing so many parts. Especially the infamous chain gaurd that seems to be a million dollars to replace.

So here is a Rupp Sprint mini bike with torque converter. It seems there wasn't to many, (if an) Rupp mini bikes with a torque converter or 2 speed clutchs that didn't have both front and rear brakes. So I found some turbine wheels from a 68, 69 Roadster with front and rear brakes. Missing the brake assemblies I had no choice but to modify the brakes to accept later model brake assemblies. Like all of the big wheeled Rupps from 1970 and up, the Sprint has 1/2" axles instead of 5/8" like all of the other turbine wheeled mini bikes. So I used brake assemblies from 1971 and modified the drums to accommodate the new brakes. I cut off the old drums from the drum hub and welded on a piece of 4" schedule 80 pipe them turned them on a lathe afterwards.

This thing FLYS... It is very fast and will jump right out from under you if you're not careful. I think I'm gonna paint it hot rod black with a little red hear and there and maybe I call it a Rupp Ratster...

I like it. :thumbsup:I been toying with doing the same thing on my 70 sprint. Let use know how it runs with the T/C. That big block Tec will make that bike go.

MB165

how did you determine what belt?
I have a rupp frame too, not sure how I want to configure the drivetrain yet.
Pete

and yeah.....that big block in there looks bad ass

MB165, there is a formula for figuring out belt sizes. Check out this chart. You can set your engines crankshaft center to a predetermined distance from the center of the jack-shaft then order the belt you need. Series 20 is symmetrical and series 30 is asymmetrical. The key aspect of this chart for your question is the "Center Distance Setting"... Hope that helps.

And yes, this set up works well. Usually when using a TC or 2 speed clutch one would go with a 60 tooth or smaller sprocket. Because of the brakes and sprocket are both on the same side with the turbine wheels and the fact that it's a #35 chain I found I have to use the larger 72 tooth sprocket. So it is necessary to increase the final drive sprocket on the jack-shaft to at least an 18 tooth sprocket. The brake have been a much bigger challenge.