"Rusty" Bird to "Rat" Bird

This one has been on the back burner for a long time. I finally got around to sand blasting it and decided that the frame was just to far gone to make a nice looking paint job, so I decided to go with the RAT look.

Here it is when I brought it home for $15

After some slight modifications.

How it looks right now. Not sure if I like the gray primer or if I should go with the ruddy brown primer.

I like the look Tom.
How'd you do your white walls? Shoe polish??
Well, I tried various things. Always ended up yellowing.

I found this primer and it works well. No yellowing, a little thick to apply, and I don't know how long it will hold up.

But considering it's a "Rat" bike I think they look good enough.

125ccCrazy

Looking good Tom, the WWW's really stand out against the red wheels..... Have you thought about shooting a few layers of different colors on the bike and then take some sandpaper and go over the frame cutting through the layers so it looks like it's been painted several times over the years..maybe even hit some bare metal and let it rust over then shoot it with flat clear... anyway you do it the bike will look great...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looking good Tom, the WWW's really stand out against the red wheels..... Have you thought about shooting a few layers of different colors on the bike and then take some sandpaper and go over the frame cutting through the layers so it looks like it's been painted several times over the rears..maybe even hit some bear metal and let it rust over then shoot it with flat clear... anyway you do it the bike will look great...:thumbsup:
Actually, yes I have thought of that. I have been looking online at Rat Rods and getting ideas for paint. I still plan on a round tank but not the one I had mocked up the first time. I think I have a big one that I can put some sort of faded lettering on it to make it look old also.

Okay, I gave it a try. I added a layer of brown primer to the whole bike, then some blue to the frame, yellow and black to the forks, then I sanded it down a bit and cleared it with a matte clear coat. I think it turned out pretty cool.

I found a 4hp Briggs engine on the shelf. It runs strong but I think I want to use a Tecumseh carb with a seperate gas tank. Anyone have an adapter??

Okay, so I changed my mind on the carb. I found an old Briggs updraft carb from a 3hp and it works perfectly. I just need the throttle/grip which should be here sometime this week. I had the tank sitting in a box and since it was already patina'd up I just matte clear coated it. I've got a guard from an old snowblower that I am cutting up to fit and I'll probably add a "name" to the bike and hand paint it on the guard. Plus, I have an idea for the air cleaner but that will have to wait.