Santa came early - finally got my hands on one...

Well UPS dropped 2 boxes for me today. Shipping was ALOT - more than the bike :censure: BUT Finally got the Powell I have been wanting for a long time!!! :laugh: I believe it's the original b&s 5hp for this bike and has some nice original parts like the quick throttle and exhaust.

The bad - Inside of the gas tank looks rusty as it has sat for 6 months according to the former owner. "Feels" like it has compression and a nice smooth stroke though - hope to have it fired on the bench this weekend. Teeth on the rear wheel look chewed to hell, I am going to have to replace - it looks as if I need to replace the whole side of the wheel (steel side I believe) any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated, as in find an OEM replacement or maybe there is something aftermarket out there???

The UGLY - Swing arm spring MIA and connection point looks boogered up on both the arm and the frame, looks like they were welded together?!? this will need to be refabricated and is about the only thing I can't do in my driveway unless someone in SE PA wants to teach me to weld. Other than that everything is straight and seems to be in good shape. I am super excited to start this and will document my process. Any Powell guys out there please let me know anything you feel like I should know and consider this my application to the club!

PS I just read about this Windber and it's only 4 hours from me. Might set my sights on getting this bike ready for next year...

Last edited:

george3

Swing arm looks bent, and I dont see the driven pulley. How much was the shipping? Seems it could of been shipped In two boxes, Roller in one the engine in another.

Last edited:
Swing arm looks bent, and I dont see the driven pulley. How much was the shipping? Seems it could of been shipped In two boxes, Roller in one the engine in another.
Looks that way in the pic, I think it is the angle. checked it over with a framing square and is good to go. And the drive pulley might be in the coffee can or still mixed in with the boxes (I hope)

And it was shipped it two boxes, engine and then everything else from CO to PA and was about $60 and $90 for the boxes. What hurt my wallet was in order to make it as easy for the previous owner, who wasn't too experienced in shipping but was kind enough to break it down for me, I had him just bring it all over to his local UPS store and they boxes and shipped it all. That cost me $40 in packing materials and $60 in 'packing expertise' :laugh: They also held my payment for me (I sent it to my contact at the store a couple days earlier) until they had all the parts from the seller though so all in all it was worth it to me to finally get my hands on a powell over here and was still way cheaper than freight which was my only other option @ $400.

i talked to them. I just couldn't make a shipping deal.Good score!
Yep, guy was super nice, but like I stated above not to familiar with shipping mini's - which is why I didn't mind the extra $$ it cost me to get this thing done right at the UPS store.

Great score and want to welcome you to the EAST COAST POWELL BROTHERHOOD . My brothers and I own four powells , Jesse 2 , douglas and I one apiece . And we are always looking for more now , they are kinda addicting . Just ask James C .

buckeye

Looks that way in the pic, I think it is the angle. checked it over with a framing square and is good to go. And the drive pulley might be in the coffee can or still mixed in with the boxes (I hope)

And it was shipped it two boxes, engine and then everything else from CO to PA and was about $60 and $90 for the boxes. What hurt my wallet was in order to make it as easy for the previous owner, who wasn't too experienced in shipping but was kind enough to break it down for me, I had him just bring it all over to his local UPS store and they boxes and shipped it all. That cost me $40 in packing materials and $60 in 'packing expertise' :laugh: They also held my payment for me (I sent it to my contact at the store a couple days earlier) until they had all the parts from the seller though so all in all it was worth it to me to finally get my hands on a powell over here and was still way cheaper than freight which was my only other option @ $400.

Yep, guy was super nice, but like I stated above not to familiar with shipping mini's - which is why I didn't mind the extra $$ it cost me to get this thing done right at the UPS store.
And for me, wanted me to send the cash first, the make shipping arrangements. I just didn't feel comfy about all that.
Glad someone here got it though.