Scotty instead of a Tent

My first year I brought my restored 1978 Trillium Fiberglass RV. I couldnt transport anything in it. That is why I now just stay in my cargo camper.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Buddy had a tear drop that had a hatch in the rear that opened to expose a stand up kitchen, the inside was basically a queen size bed. It was cool, pulled easy.
I don't remember the brand.:shrug:

I think you would be happier with some thing like this :thumbsup:
2015 Starcraft Launch 16RB in Bristol, CT | Redmans Trailers
Real hard to beat a tent trailer for room if you have a kids and a wife more confort compared to a boler.

Easy to pull and burn less fuel too!

I had not really given this much thought, but I sure do remember when the trend was small camper trailers.
Bolers were cheap and common...

Now people want the big 5th wheel and complane about gas prices and the cost of large tow vehicles.
But a Boler was jjust fine behined just about any car.....

Time and fassion change.
If it were just me i would probably be happy with nothing more than this.

Last edited:
Scamp made some and I believe there was a company or small trailer called Burro! I have a small "teardrop" trailer I acquired recently that is home made and a cool little story behind it! I will try and get some picts!

I bought it to fix up for my daughter and I to take camping on father daughter get aways when the wife isnt going, easier than towing the big trailer when just her and I!! I found it on craigslist and the ol' guy was selling cause he was retiring and moving back to Alaska! Has an extendable front hitch so he could carry a boat on top and not hit his Jeep hard top.He made it and used to tow it into some pretty remote areas with and loved to fish! I had to remove the large cutting board...it smelled! Well he left an icechest with food in it one day and came back to the side of it peeled open like a sardine can!! Bear wanted that icechest!! Mine now and am going to fix it up..needs a new roof before I do anything inside

Plenty of videos on youtube to make your own also!!

Sorry for the Hi-jack!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Those are cool trailers, There was a cool vintage trailer that was restored in Michigan by a company that restores old campers at the Portland show. The owner told me when he found it, it was being used as a chicken coop. They did a frame up on restoration on it, the interior was all new and updated.

That's a cool little trailer nos:thumbsup:
There was a company in the USA ( name eludes me right now ) that made more or less the same idea.
It was a two piece glass shell too!
But they never caught on.

In the 80s when big was cool because gas was cheap people scrapped a lot of the bolers and small light weight trailer and they ended up repurposed for the oddest things lol...

I remember seeing some modified as ice huts for fishing.
Nice and light, easy to pull and small....

I saw one in a mine ( no joke ).
Its had been moved underground and converted to a portable refuge station complete with compressed air suply, water and a chemical toilet for an extended stay.

I still think the micro bus camper conversions were also a coo idea.

Scamp!!!!
Thats what it was called in the USA!!!

Last edited:
Look into a small used toy-hauler camper , more room and the minibikes fit too! Depreciation is so great on campers , let someone else eat the loss :thumbsup:

If you search the internet there are plans out there to make your own canned ham campers. I think there were some over on the H.A.M.B. at one time.

There are some really nice pop-up campers around here all the time for anywhere between $2000 or less and some up to $5000. Just depends on how new they are and how big you want to go.

For as many nice used ones there are around I could never see paying new price for one. Lot of people seem to buy them and use them for a few years then lose interest and sell for cheap.

WrenchDad

Look into a small used toy-hauler camper , more room and the minibikes fit too! Depreciation is so great on campers , let someone else eat the loss :thumbsup:
I would agree for the same money of that new tear drop you could get a real good used camper or toy hauler. (12' -- 18') I'm not a fan of the "pop up" tent trailers to much like a tent, I like the security of a camper. The tear drops are a warm dry place to sleep but don't offer much for more than a one night stay, They are nice on a long drive to use as an over night sleeper vs. Hotel $$ but to live out of for a couple of days or longer gets uncomfortable (IMO ).

we have a 60s Scotty. its seen better days we havnt camped in it in 15 years or so but its in good shape inside. We've had it about 30 years and camped all the time the first 15 years. its good to have around even if it is just for storage. someday we'll get her rollin again