sheet metal

Guys,
Got a question not sure if this is the right place to ask. I found myself with both fenders and a gas tank for a 1970 Rupp Roadster.. All are in very good shape. I was thinking about selling all as a kit. I plan on soda blasting the tank and fenders, clean out the tank and seal it. Then prime and paint the set. My buddy that paints my stuff restores old muscle cars. His paint skill is unreal, put it like this, when we wet sanded my Shelby Replica we spent 8 hours using 2000 grit paper. So my question is would it be worth my time or is better to split the set and sell off separate?
Thanks,
Dave

The chrome looks rough. Not pitted just has seen it's better days. i doing one for my granddaughter, i decided to paint the fenders instead of chrome I prefer the paint to chrome.

Just like when restoring an item, you'll probably have more in the parts once you finish them for proper marketing than they will sell for. Using them on a bike is best once you get that invested in restoring them IMO. I rarely paint and even more rarely have anything chromed, I try to find good patina'd machines and leave em be.

The 1970 will have all the original parts. It was a true barn find. It even has a title. My granddaughter wanted purple so purple it was. I have a roadster 2 that has an hs50 motor missing a bunch of parts so it will be a nice rider. My last bike is a black widow other than the engine everything is there. I want this to be a show piece when its finished.

Let's try this again, I have an extra set of fenders and tank for a 1970 Roadster. got a good deal so I bought them. I try not to pass up a good deal. What I'm asking is it worth putting the extra time in prepping and painting the sheet metal or sell it as is.

Let's try this again, I have an extra set of fenders and tank for a 1970 Roadster. got a good deal so I bought them. I try not to pass up a good deal. What I'm asking is it worth putting the extra time in prepping and painting the sheet metal or sell it as is.
take some pics of your barn finds, figure out a price that you
want for them 'as is' and post them in the minibike parts for
sale section.

follow this line of thinking: you find a rare piece of jewelry in
gramma's estate, it's worth a lot of money. like a heintz brooch,
or just an alexandria rossoff one off.

A - do you sand it down, prime it, then give it a good coat of krylon.

B - do you take it to a jewelry store for valuation and a possible sale.

:eek:ut:

sell them as is. if you dont know how to clean up chrome then dont even try. You never know what the buyer is going to want to do with it. I doubt a set with a fresh paint job will bring any more money than a set with ratty original chrome

Ah you guys have much knowledge. Thanks saves me the time and money. Kinda new at the mini bike thing, I'm heavy in to muscle cars, so when I do one it's a frame off job.

markus

If the tank is really clean and ready to put fuel in, I would prep it to the point that its in auto grade sealer primer if your working on others at the same time. The tank crossed with all the models so you get more than just 1970 owners looking for those. and they came in all different colors. Now if you score a good rear fender for 1971-up or maybe a good front too for the 1973-up, painting up a matched set for a particular model might fly :thumbsup:

Like others have said I probably would not do anything with the 1970 fenders other than a bath and ebay listing if you have no use for them.

If the tank is really clean and ready to put fuel in, I would prep it to the point that its in auto grade sealer primer if your working on others at the same time. The tank crossed with all the models so you get more than just 1970 owners looking for those. and they came in all different colors. Now if you score a good rear fender for 1971-up or maybe a good front too for the 1973-up, painting up a matched set for a particular model might fly :thumbsup:

Like others have said I probably would not do anything with the 1970 fenders other than a bath and ebay listing if you have no use for them.
i am thoroughly impressed with markus' depth of minibike knowledge.

hat's off to you markus:thumbsup: