Should this chain be tight or loose? This is my first build on small engine. I have excess just laying on top for pic. Am I running it right? Thx

desert rat

OH NO FLIP YOUR CLUTCH Your last photo shows you are not in line at all. The chain should be strait at the clutch you are almost touching the rear of the clutch bell . To find alignment remove the chain and place a strait edge (12 inch wood ruler) on the flat of the rear sprocket the front of the ruler will point to where your clutch sprocket should be. The chain must run in a strait line not at an angle.

OH NO FLIP YOUR CLUTCH Your last photo shows you are not in line at all. The chain should be strait at the clutch you are almost touching the rear of the clutch bell . To find alignment remove the chain and place a strait edge (12 inch wood ruler) on the flat of the rear sprocket the front of the ruler will point to where your clutch sprocket should be. The chain must run in a strait line not at an angle.
When you say flip my clutch, what do you mean?

MJL

Set you clutch/chain up like this. Like you originally had it. It looks like the key my be integrated into the clutch. Do you have the bolt that goes into the end of the shaft?

Attachments

desert rat

For some of us we have had grease under our nails for life. It is different to tell someone how to do something then to just do it. I do things without thinking about how so I have to type everything I am thinking and then read it then put stuff in that I missed putting in. I personally have a problem not taking over and showing someone how to do something this forces me to be hands off. If we don't pass this on ,,,,,,

It won’t let me post a video but basically it just spins and the park with the sprocket is on but it’s not spinning with the shaft. It just sits there. The clutch spins though with the motor while idling.

MJL

You really need that bolt in there!

Dumb question, but are you giving it enough gas? The clutch will spin with the chain off because there is enough friction to get it going, but is not supposed to spin when idling with the chain on. What engagement RPMs is the clutch listed as? A new clutch probably engages at a bit higher RPMs initially until the springs break in a bit.

Last edited:

MJL

Is the throttle limit screw screwed way in? It is the one in the pic with a spring on it. I'd just remove it completely.
image.jpeg .

jspbtown

Pay very close attention OK?

IF (and thats a BIG if) you have a tapered clutch and one with no key then IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what you do. OK? Got that? The Predator 212 motor you have has a 3/4" shaft that requires a key.

So you need to figure out if the inner shaft diameter on the clutch is the same diameter on both ends (the gear end and the opposite end) or if they are different diameter holes.

Same diameter? Then you need a 3/16" key
Different diameter? Then you need a new clutch

Now regarding why your motor is so offset its because its too big for that bike. You might be able to get the smaller Predator 3.5hp motor to work or a 4 hp Tecumseh/Briggs & Stratton motor like it came with would work.

You would really need a jackshaft (read welding required) to make that motor work. If you must use that motor then you need to take the clutch and install it so the gear on the clutch is facing the motor. The you need to use a 5/16"-24 (thats a Fine threaded 5/16" bolt) about 3/4" long with a 5/16" fender washer and 5/16" lock washer to secure the clutch to the shaft.

Pay very close attention OK?

IF (and thats a BIG if) you have a tapered clutch and one with no key then IT WILL NOT WORK no matter what you do. OK? Got that? The Predator 212 motor you have has a 3/4" shaft that requires a key.

So you need to figure out if the inner shaft diameter on the clutch is the same diameter on both ends (the gear end and the opposite end) or if they are different diameter holes.

Same diameter? Then you need a 3/16" key
Different diameter? Then you need a new clutch

Now regarding why your motor is so offset its because its too big for that bike. You might be able to get the smaller Predator 3.5hp motor to work or a 4 hp Tecumseh/Briggs & Stratton motor like it came with would work.

You would really need a jackshaft (read welding required) to make that motor work. If you must use that motor then you need to take the clutch and install it so the gear on the clutch is facing the motor. The you need to use a 5/16"-24 (thats a Fine threaded 5/16" bolt) about 3/4" long with a 5/16" fender washer and 5/16" lock washer to secure the clutch to the shaft.
i did all of that. I literally just bought the bolt you said in your post. I put it all in but where do I get a key? Why is everything else spinning with shaft?

jspbtown

You can get a key at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, most Mom & Pop hardware stores. Not sure where you live but do you have any of those near you?

The shaft is round right? The bore of the clutch is round right? Thats why things are just spinning. The key is what prevents things from spinning.

Here is what the key looks like:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI9P3W-bec7wIV0sDACh23uAvbEAQYASABEgLHFfD_BwE

You will need to line up the keyway in the clutch with the keyway in the motor shaft.

You can get a key at Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, most Mom & Pop hardware stores. Not sure where you live but do you have any of those near you?

The shaft is round right? The bore of the clutch is round right? Thats why things are just spinning. The key is what prevents things from spinning.

Here is what the key looks like:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI9P3W-bec7wIV0sDACh23uAvbEAQYASABEgLHFfD_BwE

You will need to line up the keyway in the clutch with the keyway in the motor shaft.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s working on top of the 5 gallon bucket. Tire spins with throttle and all.