Show me the ropes

Hey guys, I'm a new member, and just a bicycle builder, but could really use some mini bike help. I don't even know where to start! I was hoping you guys could help me out, so that I can build my own, and actually have a cool avatar. I have a power washer outside with a 5 hp engine, 4 stroke, and I believe its detachable from the pump. I'll upload pics soon, but overall, it would be awesome for a few veterans to just give me some direction. What should i get together first? I'm a beginner welder, so I'll need some frame help. What do I need to know? What style of bike should I go for? Any direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

oldsledz

I can't be of much help on this but as for what style you should start with something you like.

Go to the photo area there are a few pages of home made bikes.

Your in the right place. Very good people here. I'm with oldsledz...find out the looks and wants through the pages and go from there..Many will help out with parts or where to get them after you know what you want. Have fun.. I just got in from 5 hours of riding with my boys.

Ok ok, does the engine have the muffler up in front? :doah: I'd get some wheels, plop the engine in the middle and go from there. Look at a lot of pic's to give you an idea of what you like and keep it simple.:thumbsup:

Welcome aboard ZZ....If I were in your shoes; I'd look around on Craig's List and pick up something cheap....maybe a little beat up....but with all the parts there. Take it home....look it over....study how the various components are laid out and how they interwork with each other....what makes them go....and what they do. In other words....become familiar with minibikes. In the meantime you may want to swap motors with your power washer. Big time learning experience....clutches, chains, gearing, sprockets, etc. Then if you want to build your own you'll have a good idea what you want and don't want and what you like and don't like. Craig's List has minis for as little as $50.00.....Good luck.....Ogygopsis

Ya kind of got the horse before the carriage! lol , but since you have the motor first, you shouldn't run into clearence problems, cause you already know how tall your motor is, to enlighten you, those motors don't fit everywhere, or in every mini, so you'll probably need a frame that has a big box shape, like a cat, bonanza, bird, something that has a big engine location, and then you get the clutch, and chain, twist grip and brakes, poof! you're riding!!! Always make sure your brakes work before you need them!
dave

Just make what interest you,who cares if nobody else likes it,as long as you do.Also,in any fab work,don't weld solid,just tack it all up and fit engine and so on.It easier to cut off tacks to make changes,then when happy weld it up solid

I'm from Manayunk in Philly. And that was funny GTO. does that stand for Grand Theft Old-Mini-Bike? These are great tips! You guys are awesome, keep 'em coming.

I'm from Manayunk in Philly. And that was funny GTO. does that stand for Grand Theft Old-Mini-Bike? These are great tips! You guys are awesome, keep 'em coming.
Well for the price I got a few,, some may say I stole it. :thefinger:

Anyway, I would agree with just buying a project mini on CL and going from there, then once you get the idea of how they work and what you like then build one. :thumbsup: