Simplex VIN #

MKW

So, where is the VIN located on a Simplex Compact Sportsman and how do I date the bike if I can find the VIN?? I think the bike is a 63 or 64, but I would like to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MKW

Well, here it is, the way I got it. As I said, I think it's a '63 or '64 Model B, but I'd like to find the numbers. It needs some work, but it'll be a nice rider. Lucky for me, those stupid home-made tank brackets are just attached with tiny pop rivets, so I should be able to get those off and weld up the holes pretty easily. And the tank is fairly clean inside.

Hello again Mike,

Glad to see you got it !

I think information on these is somewhat limited.

We do have a member on here that is well versed in the Simplex servi cycle style bike named DW1973 (something to that effect...sorry Dave). I've not seen him around for a while, but he's very knowledgeable and good to deal with.

Try to PM him, and see if he can assist with better identifying your Simplex mini bike.

Keep us posted.

Hey again Mike,

Stumbled on a picture here on the OldMiniBikes, but I think it is what your bike started out looking like 'Simplex Sportsman'

Check out this photo:

You may have part of the original seat pan assembly and spring there, just mounted where the secondary seat was , I'm not sure, but when you look close, I think you'll be able to tell :shrug:

Last edited:

MKW

You are correct. I'm pretty sure that it is the original seat pan. It was mounted with some makeshift brackets. The bike that I have is most likely a Model B that didn't come with the jackshaft/torque converter set-up or front brakes since there is no evidence of either. I do not have the original brake pedal, handlebar neck, chain guard, or lights. Besides those things I think it's all there. And, I certainly don't have the original engine. I'd just like to know, for sure, what year it is.

Last edited: