Something flew out the breather

So i got the Craftsman Tecumseh I picked up a couple of weeks ago running and got the idle adjustment just so. I was lightly reving it to get a good sense of the main adjustment and its ability to load up without stalling or stuttering and i swear i saw a small object fly out the breather and a bit of a woosh sound. I even fliched back a bit. The engine then quickly shut down and will not start. What heck could that be? It still has compression but when I took the air cleaner housing off it kicks air back out through the carburetor. Spark is still good. I changed the points, condenser and coil. whatever it was it was very small. I'm thinking it possibly could even be a piece of the needle in the carburetor or something. I think my days of buying $15 carburetors are over. Even before this happened it took forever to get the idle adjustment perfect
At one point the idle screw fell out. I rebuilt the original carburetor that came with this engine. I think I'm just going to put that on that I get home. if you play the video below at the end a couple of times you'll see it.

https://youtu.be/ZznIevYmBa8

markus

looks more like the a piece of the intake to case gasket or something from under the shroud not out of the breather.

markus

I dont see anything @ 27, but at 28 sec you can see something small and light colored fly out from under the intake area...... maybe there was a "second shooter" :laugh: hit the settings cog icon when you are playing the vid and slow it down to .25, even leaves a tracer as it shoots out :laugh: then there is a little plume of smoke as it dies.

Actually the Tecumseh factory filled the engines with special positive pressure crankcase air. Yours has escaped :sad: and will need to be replenished.

I have several NOS bottles of Tecumeseh crankcase air I have been saving but will sell you one (the labels dried up and fell off so now they just look like plain bottles of air...but they are the real deal. )

...Cashiers check, Certified Bank Check or gold bullion only...NO PAYPAL- NO TRADES !

I dont see anything @ 27, but at 28 sec you can see something small and light colored fly out from under the intake area...... maybe there was a "second shooter" :laugh: hit the settings cog icon when you are playing the vid and slow it down to .25, even leaves a tracer as it shoots out :laugh: then there is a little plume of smoke as it dies.
Ooooo! Yeah when viewed on a pc and starting at the intake i see it now. Didn't have to slow it down. Thanks. What the heck could make a piece of the intake gasket fly off like that? Air is supposed to be sucking in not blowing out. Ima replace the carb with the rebuilt one, put a new gasket on the intake and time the sumbitch.

Actually the Tecumseh factory filled the engines with special positive pressure crankcase air. Yours has escaped :sad: and will need to be replenished.

I have several NOS bottles of Tecumeseh crankcase air I have been saving but will sell you one (the labels dried up and fell off so now they just look like plain bottles of air...but they are the real deal. )

...Cashiers check, Certified Bank Check or gold bullion only...NO PAYPAL- NO TRADES !
I don't believe you are taking this as seriously as it is!

What the heck could make a piece of the intake gasket fly off like that? Air is supposed to be sucking in not blowing out. Ima replace the carb with the rebuilt one, put a new gasket on the intake and time the sumbitch.

Check to make sure the little spring loaded valve is working on the breather..if it's stuck shut the crankcase pressure will build and need to find a way out...like pushing out the gasket . Just swap one in from a good running motor to see.

Check to make sure the little spring loaded valve is working on the breather..if it's stuck shut the crankcase pressure will build and need to find a way out...like pushing out the gasket . Just swap one in from a good running motor to see.

Yeah something like that is happening. The pressure is coming back down the intake back at me. Plug isnt getting wet anymore. Oh man that motor sounded good too. God knows how long its been dormant. Hope its something small.

Trying a new carb and intake and still its pushing air back down the intake. Whats with that? On every pull..

https://youtu.be/B05Yi5r-oEk

I took the breather cover off and valves are going up n down as they should. I pushed in on the assembly piece with the small spring and its working. Could it be the timing? it kind of looks like its trying to ignite fuel at the wrong time.

Trying a new carb and intake and still its pushing air back down the intake. Whats with that? On every pull..

https://youtu.be/B05Yi5r-oEk

I took the breather cover off and valves are going up n down as they should. I pushed in on the assembly piece with the small spring and its working. Could it be the timing? it kind of looks like its trying to ignite fuel at the wrong time.

Well I found out what flew out of the engine.

A chunk of the coil. Looks like the flywheel hit it. And by hitting it I'm sure it knocked the whole stator out of timing. So I'll be timing this one tonight. I should have known because the coil went on very easily like it was loose I bet when the flywheel started to go really fast it kind of sucked it up off the prong and boom it hit.

I hate when that happens:sad: I'm glad you discovered the problem and get it straightened out:thumbsup:
Yeah thanks. I found another coil and im getting spark but even when I bend the laminates outward it still fits loosely on the prong. Its so weird cuz I usually have to work a screw driving to get these things off. Anyway im wondering if s snap ring over thr coil eill keep it on and if it will interfere with the electricity generation. Like will it short it out or something?

markus

Yeah thanks. I found another coil and im getting spark but even when I bend the laminates outward it still fits loosely on the prong. Its so weird cuz I usually have to work a screw driving to get these things off. Anyway im wondering if s snap ring over thr coil eill keep it on and if it will interfere with the electricity generation. Like will it short it out or something?
the coil locking clip won't hold it in place :shrug: part number 31311