Spark confusion

well i have a tecumseh h35 and the magneto is confusing me..:shrug:

when its unplugged, i put both fingers on the metal ring that connects to the plug, and touch my arm to the engine block.. sure enough when i turn the flywheel i get a shock, a little greater than one of those electric prank pens..

but when i have it connected to a plug theres no spark...

ive tried different plugs and still it didnt work. so these magnetos need the ground wire hooked up to run? cause when i took it apart i accidenly ripped the ground wire where it connects to the block, so i also unhooked it form the magneto as well..

anyway any advice?:confused:
-GC-

Last edited:

MNGB

How are you checking for spark turning the flywheel by hand or using the pull starter? If your just turning it by hand its not spinning fast enough to make spark at a plug.

i tried it both ways... at first i was doing it with just my hand, but i considered this problem.. im gonna go out and try it one more time just to make sure..

EDIT: yup just double checked.. pulled the cord with two different working spark plugs and no good.

-GC-

Last edited:

DZLBIKE

Don't take this as a smart azzed insult, but is the plug well grounded when you try it for a spark? If it just hanging in the air, or laying on a cruddy or painted surface you may not get a spark at the plug gap.:thumbsup:

MNGB

Yea check the points if this engine hasn't been running for some time it maybe best to install new points and condenser and set the gap to 0.020". i HAVE A SPARK TESTER THAT HAS A neon bulb in it works great for checking spark.\

1. when i unbolted the magneto i just bolted it back on, i know there was room for adjustments but i dont remember where i put the bolt on the gaps..

2. the points may be rusty, ill try cleaning them off.

3. i was touching it to a painted bolt... ill stick a screwdriver on the rim of the spark plug hole (of course, away from the cylander) and put the spark plug to the screwdriver.. ill see if this works first..

thanks,
-GC-

Yea check the points if this engine hasn't been running for some time it maybe best to install new points and condenser and set the gap to 0.020". i HAVE A SPARK TESTER THAT HAS A neon bulb in it works great for checking spark.\
that it may be. cause its getting electricity, i can feel it when i touch the metal and the block and turn it over.. but i think its having trouble converting the electricity to a spark.

is it possible that mabey the points are not in the right order or the lack of the ground point is making the magneto thing that the kill is turned on?

or mabey it is the points and coil, when i first got the engine it had no spark.. i took the magneto off and the points looked clean so i just bolted everythig back together and wallah there was spark. but i took the magneto off again to paint my block (without removing anything from the magneto, but i think this is where i ripped my ground point.) and when put back on thats when it stopped sparking.. i looked at the points a couple days ago and their still clean, mabey the coil is just ready to go, ill check later.

just in case dose anyone have points or a coil for this magneto. i know its a Tecumseh EZ start but i dont know the model # off the top of my head ill have that later too.

thanks,
-GC-