speedway minibike

delray

just pick up this speedway minibike today for $200
this has to be one of the coolest minibikes built. now that i have one right in front of me:thumbsup: bike came with the factory headlight and taillight with license plate bracket. also has the original serial number sticker in front of the tank and the original dealership sticker on the back of the fender. the bike was purchase from(eagle river,wi/up north from me)

delray

deezildennis,vin#number? where do i find this? are the frames stamp somewhere? or do you just mean the serial number sticker located in front of the gas tank.
number reads 70-11104. i would think the 70 is the year? but the rest of the numbers 11104 dont know:doah:
also i will have to find out what model it is too, now that i have one:thumbsup:
:scooter:...........................

That is the same exact model I also picked up for $200 off of CL in my area. Mine had a new tec. 3.5 hp motor in it though. I must say they are very sweet bikes.

delray

yes Gator,guy i purchase it from got it on CL and then didn't want it ,so he put it on CL
poor bike keeps getting bounce around from one owner to another. but now it's staying with me:thumbsup: guy was real happy that my intention are to keep it all original. bike is just a good looking 70's classic minibike:thumbsup:
this is what happens when you take a day off from work:doah:maybe tomorrow i will buy another minibike:doah:

delray

Honda70Kid, can you post some pictures. i like to look at some other speedways. also i will have to take a look at some over at minidoodle.com should be couple good pic's there:thumbsup:

Yeah i will get some tomorrow. He didn't have much on minidoodle. I am also trying to find out more info on mine. The bikes look like the Speedway Scarabs.

delray

jmbmini, i kind of wonder on the model(name) my bike is rear hard tail. i can't find any info on rear hard tail models.
Scorpion i have seen has rear suspenion. there is a shark model that is a hard tail,but does not have the lights or rounded tank. probable not a shark model,to many things are different still?
picture here
General Information
maybe i will have to email a pic to that guys web site and help me on the model and year:thumbsup:

I see what your saying about it being a hard tail now compared to other models. I think they made a model called the STINGER but I have no pictures or info on it. Also I forgot to say it is a very nice find and looks to be in very good original condition you don't find to many like that anymore. Good luck in your hunt for info! John

I would say 1970 Shark. If it were a Shrike it would have been painted orange. Scorpion and Scarab have rear suspension. Stinger is totally different. By the way Speedway web site is mine but is still in it's infantcy.

delray

ATKRIDER,you think its a shark? could the shark come with or without lights and did all 70 models have the rounded tanks only. my serial is 70-11104 is 70 the year and the rest of the numbers are ?????
man i got ton of question.
the torque converter,the rear pulley is that fix? no movement back and forth. only the front unit opens and closes?
what would be the correct hp on my bike.
my bike has a hs-35 ,3.5hp but i dont think it's correct?
engine has a bowl carb without the slant intake.
and no small dip stick on the oil plug to check oil at a angle? i still think the engine it self was built for a minibike(flat mount) things that give it away are,minibike cable throttle hookup,small choke throttle control handle with arrow point,correct air cleaner,intake for flat mount bike,also intake is rounded and not square like the snow blowers intakes. i do have the parts to make it correct or did speedway make this bike like this?
ok, year of it ?
serial # 2028b
2-year 1972
028 day it was made(makes it a very early year engine)
b-line or shift it was built at?
hs-35 3.5hp
ATKRIDER if you are looking for pictures of speedways to post on your web site? you more then welcome to post a pic of my bike,if like too:thumbsup:

Delray, not sure about your Speedway, but a lot of the older minis came with H30 & H35 engines. The only difference easily noticable is the throttle piece on the carb is slightly different and the intake is a little slimmer and hugs the block a little more than the HS30 & HS35s. A lot of them have been replaced with HS engines. Nice Speedway you bought. I like the hartail ones best.:thumbsup:

I still say 1970 Shark. I would believe it is an early model though. Actually the engine pretty much looks correct-what exactly does it say on the recoil?? Anyway the early models didn't use the slanted intake not until 1971. Also the rear brake looks quite primative even for a disc. Looks like it actually has the original Speedway tires still on it. For those of you who didn't know this-if you look at that peanut fuel tank it should look farmiliar especially the left side-same as the TC cover. And YES the secondary sheave should move, the inside one should slide towards the center. It's probably just stuck from sitting. Again just speculation but MOST of them had H or HS30. I actually don't know what is the diff because an H30 IS a small frame so why an HS?? Also there seems to be no rhyme or reason on the early models with the lighting. A lot of them had the brackets on the triple tree for a light but had a metal number plate instead. I really don't believe they had anything etched in stone so to speak. I pretty much deal ONLY with 1971 models but I see so many discrepencies that it just seems that they were kind of using what they had at the time. I would suggest that you fix it as you see fit. For sure that year did NOT come with a slanted intake but it would probably perform better with one. I have bought 2 unmolested 1971's and I REALLY believe they just put these things together and shipped them out. As time went by it seems that by the time they started getting there shit togeather they were already going down hill. That was 1972. I have NEVER see or heard of a 1973 model.

delray

ok ATKRIDER:thumbsup:,maybe now it kind of answer some questions on how speedway made things.
on my bike someone made a brake level for there foot,instead of the hand cable? looks easy to take off and install the original disc brake:thumbsup:
i now sometimes we just don't care about original look, when fixing up old minibikes. but this one is to much of a classic to chop up.:thumbsup: