Sprockets on the jackshaft?

they dont get tight. pretty sure one of the little lock bolts is stripped.

:-/

anyone know where to get those little bastards(the little screw that comes with a sprocket.)?

or.. did you all throw these out and use a better screw?

I had problems all the time till I started using 2 set screws in each hole with lock-tite.:thumbsup:
i got a little bit different longer ones, with a larger head ill post a pic of them, i was worried they would hit the chain, but they dont on my sprockets(they did when the sprockets were out of line a little bit on the master link).

how are you guys lining up your sprockets on the jackshaft?

are they PERFECT
or is near perfect really close enough, i feel like my chain has a bit of resistance still.

C9H13NO3

how are you guys lining up your sprockets on the jackshaft?

are they PERFECT
or is near perfect really close enough, i feel like my chain has a bit of resistance still.
On the bikes I have run a jackshaft on I normally loosened the set screw a little bit once I get the sprocket NEARLY perfect, and go for a short ride. When I come back I tighten the screw and the chain is aligned perfectly.

++Make sure that your shaft is lubed or it won't align itself++

Oldsalt

I'll bet its the bigger of the two sprockets on the jack shaft that is the most trouble. As our jack shafts on minibikes have a simple square key there is no way that it can 100% deal with "reversing" forces. They do OK but it is to be expected that an occasional sprocket will worry back and forth, due to the inevitable slop in the keyway, and loosen the set screw. Two sets work a bit better. But one mechanical cure would be to provide splines in the bores of the sprockets...and that is not cost effective. The "reversing" forces problem is really bad if a person decides to chain two or more Briggs engines together. There will be reversing motion in the simple keyed sprockets that will result in relatively short service life until catastrophic failure. But we can live with the low incidence of problems with the less stressed jack shaft sprockets.

I'll bet its the bigger of the two sprockets on the jack shaft that is the most trouble. As our jack shafts on minibikes have a simple square key there is no way that it can 100% deal with "reversing" forces. They do OK but it is to be expected that an occasional sprocket will worry back and forth, due to the inevitable slop in the keyway, and loosen the set screw. Two sets work a bit better. But one mechanical cure would be to provide splines in the bores of the sprockets...and that is not cost effective. The "reversing" forces problem is really bad if a person decides to chain two or more Briggs engines together. There will be reversing motion in the simple keyed sprockets that will result in relatively short service life until catastrophic failure. But we can live with the low incidence of problems with the less stressed jack shaft sprockets.

no double engines for me lol

just 12 tooth clutch, to 12 on the sprocket. and then a 13 to 72 on the back wheel, also, it seems like there is almost NO clearance between the chain and swing arm, on the rear chain, i wonder if this is common on this bonanza.

Oldsalt

no double engines for me lol

just 12 tooth clutch, to 12 on the sprocket. and then a 13 to 72 on the back wheel, also, it seems like there is almost NO clearance between the chain and swing arm, on the rear chain, i wonder if this is common on this bonanza.

You mean like on this Bonanza? If you have the proper spacers on the rear axle to get the rear wheel/sprocket over far enough from the swing arm then the sprocket should be about where you see the one in the pic. This a factory set-up on the jack shaft as far as sprocket spacing is concerned.

You mean like on this Bonanza? If you have the proper spacers on the rear axle to get the rear wheel/sprocket over far enough from the swing arm then the sprocket should be about where you see the one in the pic. This a factory set-up on the jack shaft as far as sprocket spacing is concerned.
its not loading the full sized image for me, but from the thumb it looks right.

today i took the front chain off(driveshaft to jackshaft) and found 3 or 4 sticky/frozen links, the chain is only about a month old, with medium use so i dont suspect it being bent or warped.

should i put the chain in some parts cleaner over night, see if they get freed up?
what do you guys use on tough links?