Stangrcr1's Open Class VT-7

While I was sanding, I had these soaking in Evaporust....

As you can see, the chrome is peeling. Too far gone to save the chrome here. Don't suppose Ron has anymore handlebars....

If not, guess they will be blasted and painted. :sad:

Ron doesn't seem to be answering his phone...

Not much done here except more sanding on the fenders. If it wasn't raining, they would have already had their final color coat and clear. Rims are waiting on clearcoat, frame needs a couple more coats of color.

Motor is waiting its turn. Should be up next as I just got the TB 5hp Briggs painted.

3 builds..... :doah:

Wow, you have a great build going on here. that Brake is a wicked idea. it occurred to me that the OEM shaft brakes on the VT's would Fail completely if the chain Jumped or broke. LOL Never heard of that happening to anyone yet but with my luck. LOL

This really is cool. I doubt I could get my stuff together to do a build start b4 the deadine. Maybe 2015 for me. LOL

Just disassembled the motor. Not looking good. cylinder is not too bad, but rings are in pieces, rod journal is bad, rod bolts were loose... I think I can polish out the crank, but not sure yet.

So at a minimum, rod, piston, rings, and a bore.

Anyone have a good 6, 7, 8, 10hp Tec?

Engine soaked in Purple Power, and now mostly clean. The cylinder does not look anywhere near as bad once I cleaned the muck off the engine. No ring ridge. Think I can just hone it and new rings.

And this thing has some large eyebrows. The ports are crap. Lots of sharp edges and choked. Will port it a bit.

Carb kit showed up today so will be stripping it down soon.

I polished out the crank and it was not damaged, just looked bad.

Well, the connecting rod was delivered back on the 12th, but not to my mailbox. Called the post office yesterday and today and they are "looking for it"..... :hammer:
This is not the first time this has happened. Last time they put the boxes in the wrong mailbox. The carrier that day was not our usual carrier that knows I get a lot of packages.

Oh, BTW, wet sanding sucks. :hammer:

yeh that sucks, i hate waiting on parts, but would drive me nuts if it was delivered to the wrong person... has happened a couple of times, but worked out in the end... hopefully it gets resolved asap for you...

The rod showed up. It was delivered to my neighbors mailbox. He was out of town for two weeks, so when he checked the mail, there it was. Open it up and it is a Stens Tiawan made copy. Grrr. Not happy with the casting, so I ordered a NOS Tecumseh rod. Got that one and then posted in the Tec forum about the differences from the original rod.

Get the rod installed, side cover on, got the valve lash set, valve springs installed. No issues.

Then I put new points and condenser in and no spark. Of course another post about it in the Tec forum. Got spark finally.

Now here I am playing with the carb. No Tec carb I looked at was like this one. Then I remembered the Tec carb casting number guide and found out this is a Walbro carb. No wonder the standard H60 carb kit didn't fit. Found the Tecumseh number for the carb(631677), then found the carb kit(31394) for it. Luckily it is in Bend Oregon, just down the road from me. Should have it this weekend hopefully.

Wife came out in the midst of my looking for all this info, I was cussing, and she said if it is not fun anymore, I should quit. She doesn't understand the search is part of the fun, even if it doesn't look like it. I feel better now. :thumbsup:

Motor together and just about done. Missing some decals and clearcoat...

Paint is still wet in these pics. Thinking about another coat...

Still haven't worked out the exhaust...