stopped at paint store and....

trailramdan

well i stopped in at a local paint store and i matched the original green as close as i could, its a tad different but noone will really be able to tell the difference....ok so i can get this in a single stage paint like it came from the factory OR in a basecoat clear coat for like 7 bucks more....the prices were with everything i need including primer....what way do you guys think is the best way to paint this thing? i can also get the same color in spray cans. then i wouldnt hafta worry about the other stuff. i just want it to turn out nice...and i have made quite a few things look good with a spray can LOL. must be the redneck side of me :001_tt2:

single stage with hardner is very durable,base coat clear coat is better-the clear coat hardner is usually harder. Another thing to remember is if you don't have to wet sand it ,it will be even more durable,the top side of any surface will be harder and more durable than if you sand down in to it and buff it. At least that is what we think at the shop.Hope this helps you out some.

I've been using single stage urethane for years.I gave up the single stage enamels,(such as Centari) when I tried the single stage urethane.It can be sanded and buffed,pretty much any time you want but if you do it within 16 hours it is a hundred times easier.I won't touch base coat/clear coat unless it is something I have to match,and I haven't had to do that in years.I have found it too brittle in high impact situations,and on some things the finish is too plastic looking.On most antique cars for point showing it is considered overestored.I paint bulldozers,skidders,dump bodies,trailers,all with the single stage urethanes.As far as I'm concerned it beats the crap out of powdercoating in the long run.Powdercoating is pretty at first,but get one chip and the moisture in the air will migrate under it.I've worked on a lot of old motorcycle restorations and powdercoating has come back to bite me in the butt a number of times.I've never had a down-the-road problem with painted parts.

single stage takes a little more skill to lay on nice especially metallics which they say you cant wet sand but i have. In other words its harder to fix mistakes with single stage. base clear you can fix up between coats. single stage you get one shot and if its not good you gotta rough it up and try again. Really not that big a deal but you cant lay it thin or it wont gloss up and if you lay it too thick itll drip and metallics will be uneven