Street legal minibike

I live in Missouri and was wondering if it is even possible to register a minibike if you make it street legal.

Do you think you could trick people to think a 212cc predator is a 49cc engine if the predator has a aftermarket header, exhaust and separate gas tank to where it looks smaller and is pretty much the size of the engine case. And it has a 49cc sticker. Maybe it would look like a 49cc mini chopper engine but I haven't seen one in person so I don't know. :laugh:

I live in Missouri and was wondering if it is even possible to register a minibike if you make it street legal.

One of the most discussed topics on this forum. Perform a search and read previous threads and learn about others experiences and advice. Have a comfortable chair as you will be reading for a LONG time.
Short (general) answer: You will have a hell of time getting it street legal.
Michael

CarPlayLB

I can make you a recoil sticker that says 49cc for it! Nice and PROfessional like!

Made one for Cheezy that says 22.88HP! I turned a 5HP Briggs in to 15HP Briggs with just a sticker

I can make you a recoil sticker that says 49cc for it! Nice and PROfessional like!

Made one for Cheezy that says 22.88HP! I turned a 5HP Briggs in to 15HP Briggs with just a sticker
I have only been able to find a few 49cc stickers from my research what do yours look like?

toomanytoys

It's possible but as said above, grab some popcorn and read through the forum.

I know in Ohio it is possible because I have a Rupp Black widow with an assembled motorcycle title in Ohio. Street Legal, and a blast on the street.

But either way if you do it prepare yourself to be pulled over constantly and your bike gone of with a fine tooth comb. Every time I have my Rupp on the road(been a few years) I get pulled over. I present them my title, my registration, insurance card(try insuring a Rupp minibike) and they want to see everything, see the vin tag, ect. It's really not worth it...

The reason this topic is so long-winded is because there are 48 different laws in the continental US covering it. Out of curiosity, I checked MO laws.

In MO, 50cc or less, 3 HP max. doesn't require anything.

Any bigger, and a MSO (MFGR's Statement of Origin) (mostly sold with brand new motorcycles) or Title must be submitted to the DMV. Since most mini bikes don't (and didn't) come with either, a special build title needs to be applied for. (Call DMV)

If that hurdle is accomplished, a motorcycle inspection has to show head and tail lamps, brake lamp, tires, brake system, exhaust and horn. There are provisions for off-road titling, but it seemed equally as prohibitive as the rest of the MO requirements.

In my opinion, you could move to a less restrictive state, go though a lot of hurdles to make your 212cc mini bike street legal, (and get a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license) or stick with less than 50cc and 3 HP by any means possible. No law enforcement officer is going to assume a mini bike doing a wheelie and accelerating to 50 MPH is 3 HP. ;)

Buy a motorcycle to do motorcycle things with. A mini bike will never be a motorcycle.

toomanytoys

Buy a motorcycle to do motorcycle things with. A mini bike will never be a motorcycle.
Best advice in the world. Street and Trail bikes are easily available for good prices. I paid 1600 dollars for my KLX250S used. By the time you restored a mini, added in all the stuff you need, the paper work head aches, you might have more than that invested in making a street legal mini. And it still isn't going to be anywhere near as good or safe as a dual sport bike.

That's why I bought this. It actually goes 80MPH, so 55 on roads is easy cruising, and I have power left if I need it for a situation(IE getting the hell out of the way)

IMG_20151102_130436158.jpg

Well law enforcement officers usually aren't the smartest engine guys I know I was in las Vegas with my mini bike 212 powered and the officers there didn't even look twice at me I even asked if it was legal and they just asked me is it 50cc or smaller and I promptly replied of course hidding the 212 sticker with my leg so you should probably be OK

toomanytoys

My question is why would you risk that. Most law enforcement aren't stupid. Then they see it's more than 50cc and slap you with a ton of fines. I would in a second just to prove a point.

Things like that ruin fun for the rest of us because the cops then develop a hard on for busting any minibikes rider.

My question is why would you risk that. Most law enforcement aren't stupid. Then they see it's more than 50cc and slap you with a ton of fines. I would in a second just to prove a point.

Things like that ruin fun for the rest of us because the cops then develop a hard on for busting any minibikes rider.
1) How could they prove it is more that 50cc without taking it apart other than size? 2) How would it ruin it for anyone else because you say they would want to bust minibikes, but they can only bust you for riding on roads anyways? So you run the risk yourself if you do that.

CarPlayLB

1) How could they prove it is more that 50cc without taking it apart other than size? 2) How would it ruin it for anyone else because you say they would want to bust minibikes, but they can only bust you for riding on roads anyways? So you run the risk yourself if you do that.
never mind him! TooManyToys hates the holidays and has lost that "loving feeling"! Stickers were mailed yesterday!