Super Bronc speedometer repair

Has anyone ever had to have a minibike speedometer repaired/recalibrated? Our 1974 VT-8 OEM speedometer works, however, it is way off on MPH. At about 30-35 mph it reads 55 mph.
Michael

MB165

is it all original? just wondering if the drive and or the speedo is the correct ratio....I don't know what it takes. does your speedo easily open up? maybe clean and lube it....im sure there are shops out your way doing calibrations, in my area we have caton radio.

Good questions MB165!
We bought the Bronc from the original owner who added the speedometer package as an upgrade when he purchased it. In addition, I sent photos to our resident Super Bronc "Guru" Rick Chatten and he confirmed that both the driver and the speedo were OEM Heald Super Bronc. The bike had not been run in over 20 years, however he "claimed" that it worked properly at one time (it was disconnected when we bought the bike). We cleaned and lubed both the driver and the cable. I can only "assume" that was he is saying is true and Heald sold him the correct the driver with the correct gearing. I am suspecting that to recalibrate the speedometer is expensive, however, you just cannot find these OEM units anymore.
Michael

Last edited:

MB165

yeah I have the same issue with my rupp, I have a 3.73, I screwed up the proper one (4.10 I think) so its off.
it actually has the ratio stamped on the body does yours? or is there any marking on the drive?

im sitting here thinking maybe its the drive which needs to be matched to whats stamped on the speedo body?? I don't know.....

Last edited: