Super Bronc VT-8 electric start restoration

toomanytoys

I didn't quite get to keep a project log like I wanted. I took plenty of pictures along the way with my cell phone.

I started out with this bike I bought on ebay for 650 bucks. The bike was complete only missing a few parts that were easy enough to find. The recoil starter, the carb linkage, and the air cleaner.

Parts that were no good, all bearings, jack shaft, seat, shocks(rusted up too badly to be saved) and the front sprocket.

My journey begins!

After taking apart the bike down to the bare frame, and sorting through everything, I realized there was no saving the jack shaft. The orginal owner wore out the front sprocket. It must of been frozen to the shaft so instead of trying to press it off he decided to just try to weld teeth on the sprocket!

I turned this shaft out at the machine shop I work at on the side.

I cut the keyway slot slighty undersized, which gave me a bit of a headache filing down my keystock to fit in with going too much to cause movement in my brake and driven pulley

After getting all the drive components straighted out I started into sand blasting the frame. Everything was taken down to the bare metal and painted with 1 coat primer and 3 coats of krylon banner red

toomanytoys

Then I started to put this back together

The motor got 2 coats of hi-temp white paint as well

The following picture is how the bike now sits. I need to install the brake lever, brake cable, chain, rear fender, wiring install lights and starter switch and I need to replace the following parts since I have old ones bolted on now, seat, and rear shocks.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I took her for her first ride yesterday..oh man! She was running great, found a few issues, my cheap ass chinese chain stretches like elastic! So I went and bought a nice o-ring 420 chain at the atv shop, and took her back out. All was going well till my rotted ass seat broke off and i almost fell off. Heading to Lowes tonight for a sheet of 3/4 marine grade, and some of those hammer in nuts for the mounting, and some vinyl, welting, and padding. Going to make my own seat cover, well attempt to anyway.

This bike seems to have a TON more torque than my other bike. This on I can sit flat on the seat and it will spin right out from under you. My other one will pick the front wheel up but not like this one. I almost dumped myself off in the yard.

Big Jim

I took her for her first ride yesterday..oh man! She was running great, found a few issues, my cheap ass chinese chain stretches like elastic! So I went and bought a nice o-ring 420 chain at the atv shop, and took her back out. All was going well till my rotted ass seat broke off and i almost fell off. Heading to Lowes tonight for a sheet of 3/4 marine grade, and some of those hammer in nuts for the mounting, and some vinyl, welting, and padding. Going to make my own seat cover, well attempt to anyway.

This bike seems to have a TON more torque than my other bike. This on I can sit flat on the seat and it will spin right out from under you. My other one will pick the front wheel up but not like this one. I almost dumped myself off in the yard.

If you fail on the seat cover, get in touch with KBS8BALL for a cover, he is doing one for me, he has done many of the members seat covers.

toomanytoys

I talked to him making me a seat a few weeks ago. He gave me a really good price and I was about to hit him up but I really want to try to do it on my own. I have done everything else to do this project, and want to try it.

I have the old seat vinyl to make a pattern, so what the heck? Whats the worst that can happen I'll waste hours of my life I won't get back and 30 bucks worth of material. No big lose really, i'd just waste those hours anyways.:hammer:

kbs8ball

the gold welt will probably be the hardest thing to find...cut up your old cover and lay it flat with some weight on it, I usually leave them sit overnite. itll help make an accurate pattern.
honestly its not rocket science. im sure itll turn out fine.

toomanytoys

So far so good, I laid everything out, and started sewing, the back half is done, I have to finish up the front.

Shaping the foam was a complete and total pain!

hello, aint got my first bronc yet (prey prey), but upholster i have done plenty... got to any fabric store that has little old ladys working in it- they have done it all. also there will be an assortment of marine grade vinyl and very good quality foams... and talk to those old gals for info they're great! and you can bet they know the inexpensive heavy duty ways of stuff. -freezerburn (just noticed you are probably done now)