Suzuki Trailhopper question

Hi, I'm new to the forum. About a year ago I found a Honda CT70 in a barn and took a year to rebuild it. It was pretty fun and made me feel like a kid again.

Anyway, driving out in the country the other day I spotted an old mini bike laying against a dumpster. It turned out to be a 1971 Suzuki Trailhopper (green). No seat, no motor, no tank cover, no exhaust. The tires are dry rotted but the wheels, hubs, breaks, handle bars, headlight are all in good condition. I would like to get it running for my 7 year old son but obviously it will need a motor. Does anyone know if there is a motor that will match the mounting bolts without having to do too much modification?

Thanks so much.

Alex

Yeah, probably better and cheaper to find him and old school mini bike (made in USA , pull start engine) and fix that up. :thumbsup: The parts you have could fetch some bucks on e-bay.

Last edited:
Ive got the orange one. Pretty complete luckily! These were only made for 3 years so they have pretty low #'s out there. I was going to try and restore but instead have just made it a rider for my nephew. They are a fast little fifty, and the adjustable seat height is cool!:thumbsup: I like the looks of the streamlined body. But unfortunately the parts to restore these are way more than you probably paid for the bike. I know that was my case. Good luck with it though.:thumbsup:

Second bike back in the picture, cant believe I dont have a better pic on my computer than this.:censure:

that thing is way to fast for your boy,onless he is a little evel kaneval,
a nos seat sold on ebay sold for $300.00,i have a parts bike with a very ugly seat
i think the rest is there is a photo in my album,however i would not feel wright if
i sold it to you,,you could get a good old usa vintage minibike for less,:thumbsup:

This is waynes, it runs, but it's wide open, I think the slides stuck in the carb. There worth a lot more parted out. It's sad but true.....
Like Wayne said, parts it out and you may have enough to put a couple vintage bikes together.
It's up to you, but from what I gather you want to get kid your kid on the road and we are just telling you from experience the easiest most cost effective way of doing it.
But if your hearts set on a trail hopper, do it. I would love to see one restored.

jbol

This is waynes, it runs, but it's wide open, I think the slides stuck in the carb. There worth a lot more parted out. It's sad but true.....
Like Wayne said, parts it out and you may have enough to put a couple vintage bikes together.
It's up to you, but from what I gather you want to get kid your kid on the road and we are just telling you from experience the easiest most cost effective way of doing it.
But if your hearts set on a trail hopper, do it. I would love to see one restored.

Here is a resto one that I bought: http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f19/tougestarr/?action=view&current=hop4.jpg Still needs a few things, but none the less a good looking bike:thumbsup:

Metal seated floating ball valve featuring 2-pcs forged /casting split body design can be used in severe working service, such as solid particle, high temperature, high pressure, corrosion service etc. Neway Metal Seated ball valves are fire safe test according to API 607 and API 6FA. Working temperature: -196℃~ 600℃.
:confused:

The rarity of these bikes makes them worth fixing up, even if you need to hold onto OEM parts and use replacement stuff. You can use the rarity to emphasize taking care of the bike to your boy. What a great father son project. We need to find an engine replacement strategy though. Honda z50 replacement motors seem very easy to obtain.