Tecumseh H70 ball bearing ¾ crankshaft

I have a Motor that says it's a HM70, but the bore and displacement says it's a H70. It has ball bearings and a 3/4" shaft. I have found all the parts to rebuild it, so they are out there if you look.

Based on Partstree.com the p/n is most likely 31793 for the bearing and you might need a Thrust washer p/n 31792. Cost at Partstree is $33.75 plus $6.04 for the washer, plus shipping. Or go to Outdoordistributors.com and pay total $29.79 plus shipping. Good Luck

125ccCrazy

use an H50 bearing side cover and a 1" i.d Briggs 5hp flathead pto bearing... I just converetd my h70 to a bearing side cover after going through different parts and these parts mentioned above worked out perfect..

oldfatguy

H60 is a different stroke than a H70.
no it's the same, only the bore size is different. The h50 has the shorter crank stroke but same bore as an h60. The h60 and h70 are the same except for the bore size. The cranks can be swapped to change an h50 to an h60 just like with the small briggs engines. I was thinking of trying an h70 block with a h50 crank which would make an h60 with the big bore and a short stroke. But since they don't make billet rods it really isn't a good idea. The h60/h70 are built for low rpm power and torque they don't like real high rpms but they really do sound good at a high rev.

george3

I think you have that backwards. look it up on a chart. I did quite a while back. as far as I remenber the H50 + H60 same stroke H70 longer stroke.

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

Mike clements made a motor for me and if I remember correctly it's a h60 block for the bigger bore with a h70 crank for the longer stroke and externaly it's marked as a h50 and it is a dual bearing block you can tell externally by looking for the extra bearing retainer hardware on the side cover I'll post a picture latter

oldfatguy

I think you have that backwards. look it up on a chart. I did quite a while back. as far as I remenber the H50 + H60 same stroke H70 longer stroke.

Bore is the same on both......2.625.
Stroke on the H50 is 2.250. H60 is 2.50.

this is from the 4cycle forum

http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/Tecumseh/H70-130216D.pdf
I found this too
the h70 has a 2.75 bore
and a stroke of 2.532",

I did some checking of part numbers and the h60 and h70 cranks and rods are different. I think the rod journal is larger on the h70

Last edited:
use an H50 bearing side cover and a 1" i.d Briggs 5hp flathead pto bearing... I just converted my h70 to a bearing side cover after going through different parts and these parts mentioned above worked out perfect..
You wouldn't by chance know the part number of the bearing?

125ccCrazy

use an H50 bearing side cover and a 1" i.d Briggs 5hp flathead pto bearing... I just converted my h70 to a bearing side cover after going through different parts and these parts mentioned above worked out perfect..
You wouldn't by chance know the part number of the bearing?
you will have to shim the bearing away from the cam gear to set the endplay...

I did some checking of part numbers and the h60 and h70 cranks and rods are different. I think the rod journal is larger on the h70
Yes, the 7HP Tecumseh uses the same connecting rod that the 8 & 10HP Tecumseh engines use. The 5 & 6HP Tecumseh have the same bore but the 6HP has a larger stroke crank and other than the crank and connecting rod they both use all the same engine parts. The 8 & 10hp Tecumseh are the same engine other than the bore.

Bore is the same on both......2.625.
Stroke on the H50 is 2.250. H60 is 2.50.

this is from the 4cycle forum

http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/Tecumseh/H70-130216D.pdf
I found this too
the h70 has a 2.75 bore
and a stroke of 2.532",

Michael

oldfatguy has got it correct.:thumbsup:
My son built a "stroker" H50 by swapping out the crank and rod from an H60 when he rebuilt it. Man-0- man that engine is really a torque monster! :cool:

125ccCrazy

Michael

oldfatguy has got it correct.:thumbsup:
My son built a "stroker" H50 by swapping out the crank and rod from an H60 when he rebuilt it. Man-0- man that engine is really a torque monster! :cool:
I wouldn't really call it a stroker.. he has an h60 now.... if you could find the right piston to use an h50 rod on an h60 crank then you would have a stroker...